X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• krzyzowiec
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r
    Not a trade-off, a bad package strategy. If they used flatpak the startup time would be much less taxing compared to .snap packages.
    No thanks. I prefer the user friendliness of being able to type “sudo snap install <package name>, over whatever convoluted, impossible to remember incantation I need to do to get a flatpak on my system.

Apparently they changed the compression algorithm for the snap images, because wait time is not an issue for me on this release. The only thing I dislike is that automated updates are currently crashing Firefox, which is not user friendly. If they can fix it to be a graceful restart instead, I’ll be happy.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    On the kernel side we'll hopefully see at least Linux 5.16 make it if not Linux 5.17 for delivering the latest hardware support and other low-level improvements.
    I really hope so aswell, but 22.04 LTS could just as likely end up with 5.15, should this kernel version get primed as next year's upstream LTS version!

Maybe this is also the reason why Canonical already played it rather conservatively with 21.10 + Linux 5.13...

Either way, hopefully Greg-KH can be convinced somehow to declare Linux 5.16 as LTS-next come ~mid-January.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    (..)Sure, they'll have a slow startup once in a while, but that's a tradeoff worth making given they'll be secure browsing the web.
    Not a trade-off, a bad package strategy. If they used flatpak the startup time would be much less taxing compared to .snap packages.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
    Please drop snap in favor of flatpak.
    100 percent. I tried giving it a chance. Slow start up on a fresh boot. But after the first startup, it's quick. But on a native debian package, it doesn't fall victim to this.

Aside from that, I just don't *need* a snap package unless I actually need it (multipass, for example).

Having said that, I agree with the decision of making Firefox a snap as it allows for automatic updating and keeping the user up to date. With an apt package, who knows, they might never run the update and run an outdated insecure browser.

Sure, they'll have a slow startup once in a while, but that's a tradeoff worth making given they'll be secure browsing the web. The rest of us can just uninstall the snap and install the apt package. It's probably a small set of users that use Ubuntu (and not debian, arch, etc) that would bother doing this (like me).

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
    Missing the most important question: Wayland as default or not?
    Wayland is already the default in the latest Ubuntu releases....

Leave a comment:

• furtadopires
    replied
    Missing the most important question: Wayland as default or not?

Leave a comment:

• Slithery
    replied
    Originally posted by om26er View Post
    Then after that 9+ years of free security updates...
    Only for a small number of packages.
    Most software doesn't get 10 years of updates.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    They have mentioned gnome 42 on the release schedule, but are there any actual plans to update to it?

The past couple of releases they have stayed 1 version behind - and these havent been LTS releases so would normally require less maintenance overhead.

I hope they do decide to use gnome 42, but right now I would be more sceptical than not until they make a specific announcement.

(gnome-shell 42 could end up being a big release with invasive changes if the port to ES6 takes place. There are currently atleast 2 different WIP merge requests for this in place.)

Leave a comment:

• ihatemichael
    replied
    Please drop snap in favor of flatpak.

Leave a comment:

• Chugworth
    replied
    Great! These days Ubuntu is pretty much my standard for servers due to its great ZFS support. I just hope they finally add the ability to install to a ZFS root on servers.
    Last edited by Chugworth; 18 October 2021, 04:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X