No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" Begins Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the kernel side we'll hopefully see at least Linux 5.16 make it if not Linux 5.17 for delivering the latest hardware support and other low-level improvements.
    I really hope so aswell, but 22.04 LTS could just as likely end up with 5.15, should this kernel version get primed as next year's upstream LTS version!

Maybe this is also the reason why Canonical already played it rather conservatively with 21.10 + Linux 5.13...

Either way, hopefully Greg-KH can be convinced somehow to declare Linux 5.16 as LTS-next come ~mid-January.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r
      Not a trade-off, a bad package strategy. If they used flatpak the startup time would be much less taxing compared to .snap packages.
      No thanks. I prefer the user friendliness of being able to type “sudo snap install <package name>, over whatever convoluted, impossible to remember incantation I need to do to get a flatpak on my system.

Apparently they changed the compression algorithm for the snap images, because wait time is not an issue for me on this release. The only thing I dislike is that automated updates are currently crashing Firefox, which is not user friendly. If they can fix it to be a graceful restart instead, I’ll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
        Please drop snap in favor of flatpak.
        it is not possible for cli software , maybe they can just made a decision for apps/software with gui needs needs to ported to flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by krzyzowiec View Post

No thanks. I prefer the user friendliness of being able to type “sudo snap install <package name>, over whatever convoluted, impossible to remember incantation I need to do to get a flatpak on my system.
          This criticism doesn't really make much sense in several different ways

flatpak install firefox

works just fine, if you have multiple potential sources and options it will prompt you to answer which one you want through an interactive wizard, hardly complicated stuff for anyone who can read and answer questions. If you say know you want the firefox stable version from flathub, you can specify that directly as well. That looks like

flatpak install flathub org.mozilla.firefox

This is all pretty easy already but really most users who want to get a even better user friendly experience as desktop application users don't have to fiddle around with the command line at all, You can just click on the install button in https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.mozilla.firefox which is prominently linked from the Firefox download page or use a software manager like the default GNOME or KDE ones. It is just a single click essentially.

Comment

Originally posted by krzyzowiec View Post

You're exaggerating.
            Ubuntu doesn't install it by default, this googles easy:
            sudo apt-get install flatpak
            flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

...and then works pretty much as apt-get:
            flatpak search firefox
            [... list of firefox apps..., looking at AppIDs]
            flatpak install org.mozilla.firefox

Comment

I haven't checked to see if anyone is working on it, but I think the newer kernels combined with the Raspberry Pi UEFI implementation can use all the hardware properly. Any chance 22.04 will switch Raspberry Pi from a hardware specific image to the generic AMD64 image on UEFI?

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                Any chance 22.04 will switch Raspberry Pi from a hardware specific image to the generic AMD64 image on UEFI?
                If I had to bet, I'd say don't get your hopes up all too high...

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  You're exaggerating.
                  Ubuntu doesn't install it by default, this googles easy:
                  sudo apt-get install flatpak
                  flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

...and then works pretty much as apt-get:
                  flatpak search firefox
                  [... list of firefox apps..., looking at AppIDs]
                  flatpak install org.mozilla.firefox
                  I use flatpak (almost exclusively) too, and I agree that it is generally faster than snap and has smaller updates, but they really have to find a better way for opening applications from terminal. I don't enjoy typing
                  Code:
                  flatpak run com.github.unrud.RemoteTouchpad
                  when it could have been something like
                  Code:
                  flatpak run RemoteTouchpad
                  . This happens while
                  Code:
                  flatpak install RemoteTouchpad
                  works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                    Missing the most important question: Wayland as default or not?
                    I would posit the question "Wayland working with nVidia drivers or not?"

Tried 21.10, and had grave issues. Installing drivers manually did not help, switching back to X11 broke things, reverted to 21.04 which worked flawless with X11.

I bet I do things wrong, but untangling the causes turned out to be too much for whatever payoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanix View Post

I would posit the question "Wayland working with nVidia drivers or not?"

Tried 21.10, and had grave issues. Installing drivers manually did not help, switching back to X11 broke things, reverted to 21.04 which worked flawless with X11.

I bet I do things wrong, but untangling the causes turned out to be too much for whatever payoff.
                      That may be down to Nvidia's driver, rather than Ubuntu's implementation of Wayland.
                      Hopefully, Nvidia's new 795 series driver (which implements GBM) will improve things.

Comment

Working...
                      X