Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 To 21.10: AMD Zen 2 + Radeon Performance On Linux Over Two Years

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 19.10 To 21.10: AMD Zen 2 + Radeon Performance On Linux Over Two Years

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10 To 21.10: AMD Zen 2 + Radeon Performance On Linux Over Two Years

    With Ubuntu 21.10 due for release this week I've been running various Ubuntu Linux performance comparisons across a variety of hardware and overall this new release is looking to be in great shape. One of the tests I recently carried out for curiosity is seeing how the AMD Zen 2 performance has evolved now over the past two years on Linux going from Ubuntu 19.10 to Ubuntu 21.10.

    https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30591

  • #2
    I think we need this kind of benchmark for kernel to see how the performance changed in the past few years.

    Also I think the regressions here mostly point to the Firefox itself than drivers. Mozilla really needs to focus on Firefox's performance, not bs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice. Especially since Schedutil was used with 21.10. Anecdotally, with games I tended to have better results (fps, frame time, feels) with Performance and OnDemand. On my old Xeons I found that Schedutil was more keen to both hold it lower and ramp it lower faster than OnDemand (acting more like Conservative). Since my Zen 2 desktop has adequate cooling one of my first tweaks is to install cpupower and switch to Performance. I wonder if that's less or not necessary now?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Nice. Especially since Schedutil was used with 21.10. Anecdotally, with games I tended to have better results (fps, frame time, feels) with Performance and OnDemand. On my old Xeons I found that Schedutil was more keen to both hold it lower and ramp it lower faster than OnDemand (acting more like Conservative). Since my Zen 2 desktop has adequate cooling one of my first tweaks is to install cpupower and switch to Performance. I wonder if that's less or not necessary now?
        Because of xanmod the default scheduler is performance. It's nice of course but uses a few Watt more than necessary for my workflow so I made a systemd service which sets all governors to ondemand, which keeps the cores at a lower frequency when not much is going on but still ramps them up when necessary.
        That way the machine cools a bit faster when work is done as it idles lower and therefore colder while the fans do their work.
        Overall it's probably a pretty neglectible effect but on a Laptop it matters to me because the fans will come to a full stop when it's cold enough (below 35°C, which is pretty low, with a hysteresis starting them again at 40°C, which is also very low) so I try to "race to cool" to get back silence.
        Last edited by reba; 11 October 2021, 09:21 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          How nice that, contrary to MS Windows 11, AMD performance goes UP on the new Linux OS releases.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            How nice that, contrary to MS Windows 11, AMD performance goes UP on the new Linux OS releases.
            Just curious, where we can look at performance for M$ Windows?

            Thanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Nice. Especially since Schedutil was used with 21.10. Anecdotally, with games I tended to have better results (fps, frame time, feels) with Performance and OnDemand. On my old Xeons I found that Schedutil was more keen to both hold it lower and ramp it lower faster than OnDemand (acting more like Conservative). Since my Zen 2 desktop has adequate cooling one of my first tweaks is to install cpupower and switch to Performance. I wonder if that's less or not necessary now?
              Since İ've been on the lookout for a newer generation CPU, İ've been wondering as well whether 'schedutil' is a better fit for these low base clocks & high boost clocks CPUs.
              İf You could compare to the 'performance' governor, that would be great!
              (Although results will probably change once the "AMD-PSTATE" CPU driver lands in mainline kernels.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by reba View Post

                Because of xanmod the default scheduler is performance. It's nice of course but uses a few Watt more than necessary for my workflow so I made a systemd service which sets all governors to ondemand, which keeps the cores at a lower frequency when not much is going on but still ramps them up when necessary.
                That way the machine cools a bit faster when work is done as it idles lower and therefore colder while the fans do their work.
                Overall it's probably a pretty neglectible effect but on a Laptop it matters to me because the fans will come to a full stop when it's cold enough (below 35°C, which is pretty low, with a hysteresis starting them again at 40°C, which is also very low) so I try to "race to cool" to get back silence.
                Just curious:
                Why 'ondemand' and not 'schedutil'?

                İ believe part of the improvements we see in this round of benchmarking also have to do with the switch of the CPU governors.

                İf You too could do a similar comparison by means of observation, that would be similarly great!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

                  Just curious, where we can look at performance for M$ Windows?

                  Thanks.
                  Reviewers discovered it first, but AMD had acknowledge the issue themselves:

                  https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Nice. Especially since Schedutil was used with 21.10. Anecdotally, with games I tended to have better results (fps, frame time, feels) with Performance and OnDemand. On my old Xeons I found that Schedutil was more keen to both hold it lower and ramp it lower faster than OnDemand (acting more like Conservative). Since my Zen 2 desktop has adequate cooling one of my first tweaks is to install cpupower and switch to Performance. I wonder if that's less or not necessary now?
                    Schedutil doesn't seem to be available on my system (Deepin 20). Is that because I'm running the XanMod kernel?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X