Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 11.1 Released With Initial Batch Of Fixes

Phoronix: Debian 11.1 Released With Initial Batch Of Fixes

Debian 11 "Bullseye" debuted back in August as the latest major release for this popular community Linux distribution. Today it's been succeeded by Debian 11.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Amazing that even with their hard freeze and bug smashing they still have to release a point release so soon because of bugs!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Amazing that even with their hard freeze and bug smashing they still have to release a point release so soon because of bugs!
      Hardly amazing. Just reality. All software have bugs. No software is finished. It also depends on what kind of bugs we are talking about. Is it major bugs like obvious crashes that should have been caught earlier during the hard freeze or is it more subtle bugs and security fixes that were not discovered until now?

Comment

I needed a patch from linux 5.10.71 but the rebase for this point release is 5.10.70 d'oh.

"This point release mainly adds corrections for security issues, along with a few adjustments for serious problems" Nothing big IMO

Comment

Debian is amazing, using it on all my machines. My main workstation has Bullseye since release candidate, rock solid. One crash of amdgpu in last few months. Apart from that, everything works perfectly and nothing crashes. When I was on Manjaro, I had crashes daily and had do hard reboot. No more! Love Debian.

Comment

By the way, here is better news about new Debian point release:

Debian GNU/Linux 11.1 is now available for download as the first point release to Debian Bullseye with 24 security updates and 75 bug fixes.

"Debian GNU/Linux 11.1 comes with a total of 99 updated packages, split into 75 miscellaneous bug fixes and 24 security updates." (...)

Comment

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post
              I needed a patch from linux 5.10.71 but the rebase for this point release is 5.10.70 d'oh.
              Perhaps pin your system to the stable/bullseye release, and then install the kernel from the testing/bookworm release?

You'll get kernel version 5.14.9 that way. Hopefully that should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeK View Post

Perhaps pin your system to the stable/bullseye release, and then install the kernel from the testing/bookworm release?

Thank you for your advice. But since the patch/bugfix I need is not crucial I will pass the backporting advice.
                I am very happy with the current state of debian 11, and I don't want to introduce bugs unnecessarily just to get a mostly inane bugfix

Comment

And I think it is amazing that people do not apparently understand that some bugs may be more critical than others. A memory leak of 1kbyte may be grave if it is in a codepath where this memoryleak is hit often. If it is while initializing a huge program such as gimp or blender it is completely insignificant. Should it be fixed? yes , it it critical, depends. That is why you have release critical bugs and not so grave bugs. A button that is off by a few pixels may perfectly well be delayed to a point release for example. Here is the release notes : https://www.debian.org/News/2021/20211009

And while the above is mostly polishing , you will of course find a few grave things as well, guess what - everyone does mistakes. I do it , others do it, and you probably do mistakes as well. The most intelligent person I have met in my life (which also was my boss for 10 years) once said that he was going to fire everyone that did not do a mistake , because they did nothing. Think about that , if you do a lot - there will be mistakes no matter what. It is how grave these mistakes are that matter.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by DeeK View Post

Please Don't encourage FrankenDebian 's It's asking for pain and suffering long term and isn't supported. Also for the fools among us that do try and help other users it tends to make very difficult to solve problems messing around with pin priority.

Comment

Working...
                    X