Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5 Now Available As Beta

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5 Now Available As Beta

    Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5 Now Available As Beta

    Red Hat today made available the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5 (RHEL 8.5) beta, incorporating a half-year of improvements to this flagship enterprise Linux distribution...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...=RHEL-8.5-Beta

  • #2
    Kind of unrelated:
    I don't like how the Red Hat website has a third-party cookie choice pop-up that takes forever to load...
    In my opinion, the cookie choice panel should be loaded from first-party (to avoid such darn long delays), and should be a small banner that pops from a side of the screen, and not a centered pop-up dialog...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Kind of unrelated:
      I don't like how the Red Hat website has a third-party cookie choice pop-up that takes forever to load...
      In my opinion, the cookie choice panel should be loaded from first-party (to avoid such darn long delays), and should be a small banner that pops from a side of the screen, and not a centered pop-up dialog...
      They are extremely annoying, However this one for me loaded with no delay.

      Comment


      • #4
        OpenJDK 17 is a very welcome update!

        Comment


        • #5
          - OpenJDK 17 is available with RHEL 8.5 Beta.
          Can't Fedora use this to roll in new F35?

          Comment


          • #6
            More interested in CentOS Stream 9.

            It was due for launch in Q2 this year, and it's already Q4 but still no releases yet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pranav View Post

              Can't Fedora use this to roll in new F35?
              it's already in there!

              java-latest-openjdk.x86_64 : OpenJDK 17 Runtime Environment

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                More interested in CentOS Stream 9.

                It was due for launch in Q2 this year, and it's already Q4 but still no releases yet.
                CentOS Stream 9 will be branched -- with suitable simplifications and no doubt some enhancements -- from fc34 when it EOLs Q2 2022.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

                  CentOS Stream 9 will be branched -- with suitable simplifications and no doubt some enhancements -- from fc34 when it EOLs Q2 2022.
                  That is one whole year behind schedule.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not necessarily, although one might understandably confuse "launch" with "release".

                    IIRC CentOS Stream 8 was first released December 2019. A Stream 9 release only 18 months later makes no sense whatsoever, as RHEL9 and Stream 9 were intended from the outset to be based from Fedora 34 which itself was only released Q2 2021. Stream 9 as a *project* may indeed have launched at that time, but to base it's *release* upon a then-brand-new Fedora 34 and all that entails, makes no sense at all. Particularly as some critical elements intended for RHEL9 -- I'm thinking the Stratis file system -- were not feature complete at that time, and still are not.

                    While usable, Stratis does not yet have enterprise/notebook features such as encryption or compression. Fedora 34's Anaconda installer does not support Fedora installation onto Stratis file systems.

                    Although your own mileage obviously varies, my personal understanding has always been that Stream 9 would see its first release only late in the Fedora 34 cycle, at earliest. These things take time.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X