Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asahi Linux On The Apple M1: "Usable As A Basic Linux Desktop" Sans GPU Acceleration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Why so many negative posts? This is almost unbelievably fast progress on a very cool project.


    To anyone super technical here: is there any chance Rosetta 2 would ever work on linux+M-chips?

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by elatllat View Post
      Apple hardware now smells like toxic waste, so I'm less keen on this than I was.
      Toxic waste sounds about right.
      Their nvme host controller was non-compliant from the start which was known by Linux devs for a long time and they worked it around a couple of times already.
      This is the summary for a commit in linux 5.15-rc4:
      Code:
      - Add a quirk for Apple NVMe controllers, which due to their
      non-compliance broke due to the introduction of command sequences
      (Keith)

      Comment


      • #23
        Its interesting but waste of Time and talents

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          "With these drivers, M1 Macs are actually usable as desktop Linux machines! While there is no GPU acceleration yet, the M1’s CPUs are so powerful that a software-rendered desktop is actually faster on them than on e.g. Rockchip ARM64 machines with hardware acceleration."

          1) Just another example that either the Linux community is smoking something hallucinogenic or they do much of this type of work as a resume builder. The thought that anyone would spend the cash on an M1 based system then wipe OSX just to install Linux is laughable.

          2) To me the fact that the system as "usable" as desktop Linux machine even without GPU acceleration just shows the sad shape of Linux desktops.

          3) If M1 CPU's running software rendered desktops are faster than Rockchip ARM64 machines with hardware acceleration than that is a damning indictment of Rockchip systems.
          1. Some people are sadly forced to use those atrocious machines by their company. So let them use a OS on them that does not feel like a devilish joke created by someone who hates all users of technology.

          2. Because? We have a nice software renderer called llvmpipe and that one does render your 2D opengl based desktop very well on all kinds of hardware without fully occupying the CPU. Running Linux without GPU accelerated OpenGL is already a massive improvement compared to being forced to run OSX.

          3. The fastest chip rockchip currently has is the RK3399, its a 7W chip on a 28nm node, thats gigantic compared to the 5nm TSMC node Apple has access to. Of course it won't do much with its two "performance" cores compared to the 8 core chip from apple on 5nm. And if you know the ARM Mali-T860 GPU it has, you know why it is not doing OpenGL well either.

          Comment


          • #25
            if you use Asahilinux will ya get a SLAB or a Box of there beer with it?

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              "With these drivers, M1 Macs are actually usable as desktop Linux machines! While there is no GPU acceleration yet, the M1’s CPUs are so powerful that a software-rendered desktop is actually faster on them than on e.g. Rockchip ARM64 machines with hardware acceleration."

              1) Just another example that either the Linux community is smoking something hallucinogenic or they do much of this type of work as a resume builder. The thought that anyone would spend the cash on an M1 based system then wipe OSX just to install Linux is laughable.

              2) To me the fact that the system as "usable" as desktop Linux machine even without GPU acceleration just shows the sad shape of Linux desktops.

              3) If M1 CPU's running software rendered desktops are faster than Rockchip ARM64 machines with hardware acceleration than that is a damning indictment of Rockchip systems.
              Great job completely ignoring the context until point #3.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
                Why so many negative posts? This is almost unbelievably fast progress on a very cool project.


                To anyone super technical here: is there any chance Rosetta 2 would ever work on linux+M-chips?
                Might get something like it. There's hangover for example, plus regular QEMU. It might benefit from the memory model too if someone bothers to write an M1-specific patch.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by xcom View Post
                  Its interesting but waste of Time and talents
                  Hardly, when it's the fastest ARM hardware around. Even Linux Torvalds himself wants one, if only it ran Linux. As their GPU dev already discovered, it compiles code _damn_ fast.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

                    Hardly, when it's the fastest ARM hardware around. Even Linux Torvalds himself wants one, if only it ran Linux. As their GPU dev already discovered, it compiles code _damn_ fast.
                    I'll take that with a grain of salt until I see hard numbers. Alyssa is used to developing stuff on ARM systems, hence the line about it being fast compared to a Rockchip ARM system.

                    I'd be curious to see how it actually compares vs a real desktop system (in actual apps - not just geekbench/synthetic tests), and I'm surprised Michael hasn't done an article on it. The little I've seen seems to have it competitive with Zen 3 at least on some benchmarks, as long as it's not too multithreaded. Obviously with much lower power usage being the impressive bit.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 06 October 2021, 01:40 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by akira128 View Post

                      1) Why is that laughable? I plan on buying an M1 macbook air and putting Linux on it. You can laugh all you want....but have you actually used macOS before?! I'm forced by my company to develop on a macbook pro, and it's just a horrible OS. You can't do basic things like dragging and snapping windows. There's no decent terminal emulators. The default terminal emulator + iterm2 suck balls. I never appreciated gnome-terminal until I used a mac. Homebrew is horrible package manager, the filesystem isn't logically laid out. I hate the bouncing docks icons, and why am I constantly being asked to create an apple id. I could go on and on. Most of what I do on that macbook is via the command line. I never login to it directly (after the first boot) I just ssh in from my Linux machine. I also use my Linux file manager to connect to a few directories via sftp --so I can modify files using a (Linux) editor if I need to. To each their own. Everyone's got their own thing going on. But I certainly wouldn't find the idea that someone would want a usable OS to develop on laughable.

                      2) What!? The fact that Linux can run fine using less resources sounds like a win to me. Never much cared for bloated, resource intensive operating systems.
                      It could also be a testament to how well the M1 SOC performs. Maybe, it's just a really well-designed SOC that performs exceptionally well.

                      3) I agree with you on that one ; )
                      I am stuck running macos because of work as well. You really need to check out alacritty, it is hands down the best terminal i have ever used and there are native builds for linux, macos and windows. i use it on all 3 and can honestly say it runs as good on macos as it does on linux (at least after replacing their ancient preinstalled zsh with a modern one from homebrew as my login shell).

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X