Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asahi Linux On The Apple M1: "Usable As A Basic Linux Desktop" Sans GPU Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    If I had an M1 Mac I sure as hell won't put Linux on it.
    if I had an M1 mac, then I would sell it and buy something like the linux-specific variant of the XPS-13
    linux addict, got the scars, the grey beard and the t-shirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Hardly, when it's the fastest ARM hardware around. Even Linux Torvalds himself wants one, if only it ran Linux. As their GPU dev already discovered, it compiles code _damn_ fast.
      why would you use your laptop for compiling code? make it a thin client and do the heavy lifting on a chunky server somewhere. most Mac users I know at work use them for running Office 365, a browser and a shell/ssh to servers in the cloud, with maybe a GUI/IDE locally and git.
      linux addict, got the scars, the grey beard and the t-shirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by speculatrix View Post

why would you use your laptop for compiling code? make it a thin client and do the heavy lifting on a chunky server somewhere. most Mac users I know at work use them for running Office 365, a browser and a shell/ssh to servers in the cloud, with maybe a GUI/IDE locally and git.
        Probably the same reason why many people distrust the Cloud.

I'm fortunate that I get a fair degree of autonomy, so I know this wouldn't work for many, but I prefer keeping "skunkworks" projects local and only putting them on hardware accessed by others when I feel it's ready for public (well, within where I work) consumption with my name attached. It's one reason why I regret listening to the suggestions of a colleague when I last replaced my laptop. Thin and light is nice when travelling, but it was so painfully anaemic to work on beyond Office/e-mail.

Comment

Working...
        X