Fedora 35 Beta Released With Many New Features, Countless Package Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomas View Post

Wow, that's nasty. Where are your manners?
    You should really be ashamed.
    BTW, Rahul has been a developer of Fedora and previously a RedHat employee:

I bet he knows a lot more about the subject than you. Embarrassing....
    You mean like yesterday when he claimed that OpenJDK wasn't installed by default on Fedora Workstation, even after being corrected by a few people that it *is* installed by default? Yeah, the guy sure seems to know a lot… [/sarcasm]

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

You can use other software like GDM (I myself am not very fond of Gnome software though).

Nate's posts essentially track master and sometimes have some "mistakes" with the versions ;-)
      Is GDM now able to work with out X? When F34 came out some one who uses Gnome posted that it was the only package on his system that still needed X.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

Is GDM now able to work with out X?
        Yes, it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You mean like yesterday when he claimed that OpenJDK wasn't installed by default on Fedora Workstation, even after being corrected by a few people that it *is* installed by default? Yeah, the guy sure seems to know a lot… [/sarcasm]
          This is entirely wrong, I never made any specific comments on Fedora workstation.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I now looked at the comment you refer to:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...90#post1281690

He's right. He did not claim that OpenJDK is not default on Fedora Workstation, specifically. What he said was

"OpenJDK is actually very well maintained in Fedora and has a dedicated Red Hat team with upstream contributors. The problems are with packages outside of those core ones. Also, I don't think OpenJDK is installed by default in Fedora."
            ​​​​
            It's not installed by default on Fedora Server, for example. There might also be other spins of Fedora where it is not installed by default.
            Last edited by tomas; 29 September 2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

I now looked at the comment you refer to:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...90#post1281690

He's right. He did not claim that OpenJDK is not default on Fedora Workstation, specifically. What he said was

"OpenJDK is actually very well maintained in Fedora and has a dedicated Red Hat team with upstream contributors. The problems are with packages outside of those core ones. Also, I don't think OpenJDK is installed by default in Fedora."
              ​​​​
              It's not installed by default on Fedora Server, for example. There might also be other spins of Fedora where it is not installed by default.
              Yep, This is something I already pointed out here and now bringing it up again in a different thread and claiming that I said something that I clearly did not cannot be taken as a good faith assertion anymore. Setting aside this, some more details here just in case this is useful for others looking at this:

Fedora workstation is just one of the three editions within Fedora that's listed prominently in the frontpage in https://getfedora.org/ alongside workstation and while workstation is certainly popular, packages that are default in one edition but not others cannot really be called a general Fedora default. Package groups in Fedora are defined via comps.xml . For Fedora 36, while the workstation group doesn't explicitly pull in OpenJDK, it gets installed as a dependency of LibreOffice and therefore while some desktop spins may get it, others editions, spins and labs don't. What is shared between them typically is the core and base groups although the kickstarts used to generate them can control that in a more fine grained way if they choose to do so. So the question of default really is very specific to the variant you are talking about.

Comment

Just a warning. There is a massive performance issue at least on the KDE spin for F35B. I have iupgraded it on 3 machines and none of them are able to play videos ether through mpv or firefox. They will launch and show the first frame but never get past that. I also can't play audio through Elisa. On the one machine I use for office related stuff kontact takes 20 mins to launch. an then runs super slow. When I look at top nothing seems to be using resources but these apps on all of the machines are super slow. The journal and dmesg haven't indicated any thing useful. I am still trying to figure out what component to file a bug against.

Comment

Working...
                X