Fedora 35 Beta Released With Many New Features, Countless Package Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 35 Beta Released With Many New Features, Countless Package Updates

Phoronix: Fedora 35 Beta Released With Many New Features, Countless Package Updates

After seeing some initial release challenges, Fedora 35 Beta was released today across the Fedora Workstation, Fedora Server, and Fedora IoT flavors as well as their other versions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Perl 3.4 ?

Comment

Congrats to the devs. One of the things I was hoping for was SDDM 20 so we could get rid of X once and for all. But they are still using 19. This one seems to be mostly bug fixes which isn't surprising since the last two releases were pretty big.

Comment

It's now called "Fedora Linux", oh boy.

Who on Earth cares?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
          Congrats to the devs. One of the things I was hoping for was SDDM 20 so we could get rid of X once and for all. But they are still using 19. This one seems to be mostly bug fixes which isn't surprising since the last two releases were pretty big.
          You are kidding yourself... X will be here forever, just like win32 APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

You are kidding yourself... X will be here forever, just like win32 APIs.
            Well, as much as I hate Wayland, he's got the point which you kinda missed. SDDM version 20 supports Wayland natively while all the previous versions only work under X.org which means that for the new SDDM release you don't have to have the Xorg server and all its dependencies installed.

No one is killing X11, though I can imagine that in 50 years from now, when I've long been dead, new operating systems will not have any X11 compatibility and people will have to use emulation just like we do now for extremely old operating systems like MS-DOS.

On a more serious note, nothing will be here forever. Not even this planet or the Solar System as we know it.
            Last edited by birdie; 28 September 2021, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              It's now called "Fedora Linux", oh boy.

Who on Earth cares?
              It's pretty obvious who cares... the people that do the work. It's even written in the link who they are - imagine that!

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post

It's pretty obvious who cares... the people that do the work. It's even written in the link who they are - imagine that!
                You mean people who spend their time renaming things?

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

You mean people who spend their time renaming things?
                  It is a trivial change in a single file. More effort has been spent commenting on it than the actual change itself. If you don't care about it, there are plenty of other changes to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It is a trivial change in a single file. More effort has been spent commenting on it than the actual change itself. If you don't care about it, there are plenty of other changes to look at.
                    But I thought the bike shed should be painted in taupe!

Comment

Working...
                    X