No announcement yet.

Fedora 35 Beta Released With Many New Features, Countless Package Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tested the release just to see how new GNOME performes. It's significantly smoother! To my understanding there are more optimization changes pending so it looks promising. Also I tested some extensions and it seems they're not completely messed up this time. Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      It is a trivial change in a single file. More effort has been spent commenting on it than the actual change itself. If you don't care about it, there are plenty of other changes to look at.
      It's a decision by committee and has been preceded by countless hours of (e.g.) mailing list talks and probably a formal voting procedure as well. Rebranding will also affect their website and who knows how many other things. The only simple thing here is you.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
        You are kidding yourself... X will be here forever, just like win32 APIs.
        in the form of xwayland, just like win32 is in the form of proton

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
          I tested the release just to see how new GNOME performes. It's significantly smoother! To my understanding there are more optimization changes pending so it looks promising. Also I tested some extensions and it seems they're not completely messed up this time. Nice!
          IIRC some months ago they announced a new review process for extensions to keep them more in sync with the GNOME releases, or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
            Congrats to the devs. One of the things I was hoping for was SDDM 20 so we could get rid of X once and for all. But they are still using 19. This one seems to be mostly bug fixes which isn't surprising since the last two releases were pretty big.
            There is no such (20) release yet. Just saying ;-)

Comment

Sadly a bunch of the extensions haven't been updated yet. Also sadly, it seems the only way to get my two nvme's to run as a raid0 in my laptop is with Fedora, so I guess I'll reinstall Fedora 35 Beta again tonight....

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

There is no such (20) release yet. Just saying ;-)
                This had assumed it dd exist because of this. But as you say it does not. It is a shame as SDDM is the only package on my system that still wants X.

This is not strictly speaking a KDE project, but it certainly affects us: the SDDM login manager can now be run as Wayland-native software without needing X11 at all! (Aleix Pol Gonzalez, SDDM 0.20)
                This week Plasma 5.22 was released! Overall our focus on stability has paid off, and so far there are no major regressions reported; only a few medium-severity ones which have all already been fixe…

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

This had assumed it dd exist because of this. But as you say it does not. It is a shame as SDDM is the only package on my system that still wants X.
                  You can use other software like GDM (I myself am not very fond of Gnome software though).

Nate's posts essentially track master and sometimes have some "mistakes" with the versions ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    The only simple thing here is you.
                    Wow, that's nasty. Where are your manners?
                    You should really be ashamed.
                    BTW, Rahul has been a developer of Fedora and previously a RedHat employee:

I bet he knows a lot more about the subject than you. Embarrassing....

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

You can use other software like GDM (I myself am not very fond of Gnome software though).

Nate's posts essentially track master and sometimes have some "mistakes" with the versions ;-)
                      Nate never makes mistakes ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X