No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.10 Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they really going snap only for Firefox on this release?

Comment

so with all the groaning about the (clearly bad) kernel choice - what's the problem with strapping xanmod on top?
      myself no have problems with that route in the past - anything I should be scared of?

Comment

And what is stopping the user from building their own 5.15rc2 or newer on 21.10?

Don't Linux users love to boast that they have a much higher level of competence than those on Windows?

Comment

do you please know if rollbacks to a specific snapshot are enabled in grub UI if installing with ZFS or btrfs?
          Last edited by horizonbrave; 24 September 2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Same Fedora bug...
            Crash connecting external monitor with Wayland + NVidia
            Returning to KDE Neon

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

5.13? That's EOL. They've been making terrible kernel decisions. 5.8 also is what they were also using for the AMD package.

I actually tried supporting 5.8 kernel in my script. Didn't boot. Wasted my time. But at least now I know.

Sorry to be annoying, but they should really start abiding by these kernel rules:

mainline: 5.15-rc2 2021-09-20
              stable: 5.14.7 2021-09-22
              stable: 5.13.19 [EOL] 2021-09-18
              longterm: 5.10.68 2021-09-22
              longterm: 5.4.148 2021-09-22
              Canonical provides newer images, too: https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
              And there is an easy-to-use-tool for installing them: https://github.com/bkw777/mainline

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

Canonical provides newer images, too: https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
                And there is an easy-to-use-tool for installing them: https://github.com/bkw777/mainline
                Yeah but the average "regular" user Ubuntu is ideally trying to target truly won't know any of that. We have to give them the *best* out-of-the-box experience of everything we know of the Linux ecosystem.

They shouldn't have to worry about any of that. If you go to someone's pizza restaurant, you expect them to make the pizza and deliver it to your table and you just have to eat.

Comment

After decades of Fedora, I just spent three weeks on Ubuntu 20.04 to check out all this "100 Papercuts" polish I heard about, and I have so many problems. I was contemplating 21.10, but Fedora 35 is sounding optimized for my new ThinkPad, so I'll prolly just do that. Sorry Ubuntu, I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                    After decades of Fedora, I just spent three weeks on Ubuntu 20.04 to check out all this "100 Papercuts" polish I heard about, and I have so many problems. I was contemplating 21.10, but Fedora 35 is sounding optimized for my new ThinkPad, so I'll prolly just do that. Sorry Ubuntu, I tried.
                    Fedora is awesome except for the 6 month release cycle. In the early days of Fedora they also had a very nice blue theme for Gnome 2 that was really beautiful and could not be reproduced on any other distribution.

I used to use a single Fedora release for three years, skipping everything else in between, then move to the next current version. Nowadays I use Debian Testing as soon as the repositories are frozen to achieve the same purpose, but would love to eventually return to Fedora one day. Apt and the Debian style of breaking up packages into tens and hundreds of sub-packages (like why the hell does CUPS have to be split into 10 different packages) drives me mad. RPM distributions also have a much more sane repository layout; Core, Updates and Extras. Compared to Debian and its derivatives which typically only have one main repository, and updated packages overwrite older versions.
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 24 September 2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by puffpuff View Post
                      so with all the groaning about the (clearly bad) kernel choice - what's the problem with strapping xanmod on top?
                      myself no have problems with that route in the past - anything I should be scared of?
                      UEFI secure boot. Several company has it as a requirement for their device policies.

Comment

Working...
                      X