Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Touch OTA-19 Released - Still Based On Ubuntu 16.04

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu Touch OTA-19 Released - Still Based On Ubuntu 16.04

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Touch OTA-19 Released - Still Based On Ubuntu 16.04

    UBports on Tuesday released Ubuntu Touch OTA-19 as the latest refinement to this Ubuntu Linux spin for smartphones and tablets...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...u-Touch-OTA-19

  • #2
    Why would a simple touch enabled gui facelift be dependent on the os version, or on the os for that matter?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ddriver View Post
      Why would a simple touch enabled gui facelift be dependent on the os version, or on the os for that matter?
      Yes, why would it?
      Can you clarify what you are really asking? The GUI will not be dependant on the OS version I would assume. But upgrading the base OS can be an effort, taking into account the wide range of devices, the closed drivers for an Android/Linux kernel, and the idea that phones are really embedded devices, not like laptops and desktops.

      BTW, is anyone using Ubuntu Touch as a daily driver and their only device? I would like to hear experiences.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have an Xperia XZ sitting idle at the minute, I might see if I can get this on it just to see what all the fuss is about.

        Comment


        • #5
          I tried to use Ubuntu Touch as a daily driver a year back or so, and while it worked just fine as a phone/SMS/browser, the surprisingly small amount of usable apps in the store was the thing that drove me back to Sailfish. The ecosystem just wasn't there, which bas both expected and a bit sad. Perhaps there is "a homebrew store" for it, but I couldn't find it during the two days I used it, and I did look for it.

          I do have that spare Xperia X still, so I'll give it another spin at some point for sure!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Polleke View Post
            BTW, is anyone using Ubuntu Touch as a daily driver and their only device? I would like to hear experiences.
            I've used it as a daily driver for 6 months last year on Xperia X. I had some issues for which I've found workarounds, but I got an issue with the kernel in which it would reboot the phone often (or sometimes even just turn it off).
            I still had a secondary Android device without a sim which I used for getting the whatsapp and RCS messages, and I'd use the web apps for connecting to it so I t have to carry a second device.
            I've switched phones since then and got my XperiaX to lineage for usage for a while, but I can try it out again soon I guess.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have OTA-18 on a BQ Aquaris 10 FHD tablet. (MediaTek CPU, was built by HTC for BQ)

              If they can get Anbox working like they said it was, the ecosystem issue will be moot.

              They are reporting that it works, but the various postings say otherwise.

              Until then I am kind of playing the waiting game, to see when they fix it.

              I did make a contribution to them for the good work they did with the installer, so no leeching here.

              Comment


              • #8
                I use UBports as a daily driver and have done for years now - since it was Ubuntu Touch and released with the Meizu MX4.

                I upgraded to an Xperia X when my MX4 finally had issues, and now run it on a Pixel 3a.

                It does exactly what I want it to do and nothing more.

                It's a well designed interface, simple and intuitive to use.

                I love it.

                We have an android 11 tablet too, and I honestly prefer my UBports device.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Polleke View Post

                  Yes, why would it?
                  Can you clarify what you are really asking? The GUI will not be dependant on the OS version I would assume. But upgrading the base OS can be an effort, taking into account the wide range of devices, the closed drivers for an Android/Linux kernel, and the idea that phones are really embedded devices, not like laptops and desktops.

                  BTW, is anyone using Ubuntu Touch as a daily driver and their only device? I would like to hear experiences.
                  I use it as a daily driver and I wouldn't want anything else anymore. My mum also uses it as her daily driver now and she really digs it too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by direc85 View Post
                    I tried to use Ubuntu Touch as a daily driver a year back or so, and while it worked just fine as a phone/SMS/browser, the surprisingly small amount of usable apps in the store was the thing that drove me back to Sailfish. The ecosystem just wasn't there, which bas both expected and a bit sad. Perhaps there is "a homebrew store" for it, but I couldn't find it during the two days I used it, and I did look for it.

                    I do have that spare Xperia X still, so I'll give it another spin at some point for sure!
                    The amount of apps is growing, though. Plus you can install Libertine to run some Linux desktop apps.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X