X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quidnam
    replied
    Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
    - teams & steam don't start correctly, the programs start but there is no window, unusable, don't know yet how to debug
    I can't get Steam to start, either. The process launches, but nothing happens after that.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    Haven't heard much for a while, though I can't say I've been paying that close attention to them lately.
    I mainly think about how, with Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, I had to transplant Mint's "don't let packages sneak snappy back in after it's been removed" APT rules and then install Ungoogled Chromium via Flatpak instead.

They're still up to their "let's be architecturally incompetent" tricks.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Oh come on, you are not new here, you know what happened. Canonical learned the hard way that the money is not in the home user, but in the enterprise. They had to let go almost all the people working on desktop to focus on the cloud, letting the end user to downgrade to whatever Red Hat was using at the time.

Since then the only thing they do in the desktop, is fixing all the disdain Gnome developers have to desktop users using a mouse.
    Yeah but Red Hat which I also assume focuses on the enterprise seems to be much more exciting on the desktop than Canonical.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
    - teams & steam don't start correctly, the programs start but there is no window, unusable, don't know yet how to debug
    This looks similar to this issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment..._but_not_main/

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Lots of exciting work done by Red Hat!

I remember back in the days when Canonical used to be exciting too. What happened?
    For me, sometime around 2006/7, I got tired of my system breaking or partially breaking every six months during dist upgrades so I spent a year trying out different rolling release models, eventually settled with Arch. Soon after settling with Arch, both GNOME3 and GTK3 came out, I didn't care for the way they both went in regards to UI, Ubuntu went with them, so I haven't really cared for them any of the times I've tried it out in the past 13 years.

Seeing as how GNOME is default on most distributions yet Plasma has equal usage according to most reporting metrics, enough people feel that way about that style of UI to learn about different desktop environments and install one. Problem is that those different desktop environments usually run like crap on Ubuntu due to their focus on GNOME. While Plasma is being worked on, a person needs to install one of the umpteen Ubuntu forks or a different distribution for better non-GNOME desktop support which takes away Ubuntu numbers.

No matter how exciting they are, when a desktop distribution focuses on a desktop and UI that 3/4 of Linux users don't use while providing less-than-stellar support for other desktops, people tend to leave. As much as it sucks for them due to the increased maintenance, that's the reason why distributions like Manjaro offer and support multiple desktops. Even Fedora puts other desktop environments on their main site and not under an offshoot brand.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied

I remember back in the days when Canonical used to be exciting too. What happened?
    Oh come on, you are not new here, you know what happened. Canonical learned the hard way that the money is not in the home user, but in the enterprise. They had to let go almost all the people working on desktop to focus on the cloud, letting the end user to downgrade to whatever Red Hat was using at the time.

Since then the only thing they do in the desktop, is fixing all the disdain Gnome developers have to desktop users using a mouse.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

They tried to be the nail that sticks out and got hammered down.

Back when Unity was a thing they shipped their own patched GTK libraries to support it. The consequence of the patched libraries was that it sometimes screwed up compilation of other software that depended on GTK.

They created Mir, which fractured desktop Linux's graphical stack into two incompatible paths.

Hard to see them in a positive light after these stunts.
    Yeah, but I stayed with them despite that, and Mir was never really a thing, nobody used it, it didn't ship by default. Now Ubuntu uses Wayland, but Canonical is no longer exciting, it seems Canonical doesn't contribute anything to anything anymore. I don't know, new releases of Ubuntu is very boring, the only new thing is new versions of the software.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Potentially the advertising (i.e Amazon) they put in Ubuntu's search system making it consumer and tacky. I don't think people trusted them after that.
    Yeah, I disliked that, but then I disabled it. Thing is, now they don't do anything at all.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Back when Unity was a thing they shipped their own patched GTK libraries to support it. The consequence of the patched libraries was that it sometimes screwed up compilation of other software that depended on GTK.

They created Mir, which fractured desktop Linux's graphical stack into two incompatible paths.

Hard to see them in a positive light after these stunts.
    True enough, and the lies and misinformation spread about Wayland at the time remains hard to forgive. That was a while ago though, and once they abandoned Unity in favour of Gnome Shell, they did end up putting a lot of valuable development effort into Gnome... particularly around performance as I recall. Haven't heard much for a while, though I can't say I've been paying that close attention to them lately.

Leave a comment:

• lethalwp
    replied
    don't upgrade too fast (like i did yesterday )

I have small bugs in this pre-beta release, haven't had the time to report it yet:
    - it seems there's a problem with the screensaver: screen doesn't turn off after my usual 15 minutes.

- i also still have a radeon_dri bug (gnome-shell segfault) that i see when shutting down the pc, this from F33 or before. Also don't know how to debug this.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied

Potentially the advertising (i.e Amazon) they put in Ubuntu's search system making it consumer and tacky. I don't think people trusted them after that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X