X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Yeah but Red Hat which I also assume focuses on the enterprise seems to be much more exciting on the desktop than Canonical.
    redhat has more manpower(and always had)

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Plasma has equal usage according to most reporting metrics
    i'm sure those metrics are garbage
    No matter how exciting they are, when a desktop distribution focuses on a desktop and UI that 3/4 of Linux users don't use
    when you use desktop nobody cares about, you live in imaginary world where every distro has wrong focus

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    The other number to note is the ones who installed just "init"....or headless users. 6x more of them than default GNOME users. Kind of shows that most of Debian's userbase doesn't use a GUI.
    Not surprising... Debian has long been popular for servers, and more recently, as a base for container images. Most of those I've looked at recently have been based on Debian, other than those that optimise for size and use either Alpine or something distroless.

Leave a comment:

• pipe13
    replied
    I had some some conversation with RH's John Baublitz last week, in which he allowed he'd a hacked Anaconda that could install Fedora / on a stratis partition. I hope it appears in fc35, but he made no such representation.

Incidentally, the context was copying an fc34 installation onto a stratis partition, and John helped me immensely with that. The key was an selinux "restorecon -R /" on the new filesystem before it would boot. Adding a one-time "autorelabel=1" to my boot flags also worked.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post

This is very interesting to read considering I have never seen properusage metrics comparing the two. Any pointers where to look?
    I'm going off of surveys I've come across over the years, Gaming On Linux user stats, jumping to conclusions with Debian Popcon, etc.

Take the Debain Main Meta package results for example. Since we get GNOME (just "gnome") by default with a graphical installation, so, head math, over 45% of those installed KDE (since "gnome-core" is a common dependency and "gnome-games" is just games that KDE, Mate, Cinnamon people may use too) and 60% installed Mate or XFCE. 45% KDE, 60% Mate/XFCE (that math works since GNOME, KDE, Mate, and XFCE can all be installed at the same time). That's Debian's reported numbers from the people who care to report them. 105% means that enough people don't like GNOME (and then KDE or Mate) that they try things out until they find what sticks...but they clearly don't like GNOME.

The other number to note is the ones who installed just "init"....or headless users. 6x more of them than default GNOME users. Kind of shows that most of Debian's userbase doesn't use a GUI.

Leave a comment:

• lethalwp
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Indeed, when i strace the process and filter on EPERM:
    [pid 110072] --- SIGSYS {si_signo=SIGSYS, si_code=SYS_SECCOMP, si_errno=EPERM, si_call_addr=0x7f5a1b17866d, si_syscall=__NR_clone3, si_arch=AUDIT_ARCH_X86_64} ---

It looks to be related.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Seeing as how GNOME is default on most distributions yet Plasma has equal usage according to most reporting metrics,
    This is very interesting to read considering I have never seen properusage metrics comparing the two. Any pointers where to look?

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

, it seems Canonical doesn't contribute anything to anything anymore.
    I suspect they contribute more now than they did then.

They used to be good about shouting about and claiming features developed by others. These days you see their engineers quietly at work in upstream issue queues instead.

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    I'm most excited about Kinoite for F35.

Leave a comment:

• archkde
    replied
    Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
    - teams & steam don't start correctly, the programs start but there is no window, unusable, don't know yet how to debug
    This might be the Chromium sandbox crashing important processes when using glibc 2.34 (due to clone3). Did you try Flatpak?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X