Red Hat's Upstream Contributions Are Making For A Great Fedora Workstation 35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Oh come on, you are not new here, you know what happened. Canonical learned the hard way that the money is not in the home user, but in the enterprise. They had to let go almost all the people working on desktop to focus on the cloud, letting the end user to downgrade to whatever Red Hat was using at the time.

Since then the only thing they do in the desktop, is fixing all the disdain Gnome developers have to desktop users using a mouse.
    Yeah but Red Hat which I also assume focuses on the enterprise seems to be much more exciting on the desktop than Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
      Haven't heard much for a while, though I can't say I've been paying that close attention to them lately.
      I mainly think about how, with Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, I had to transplant Mint's "don't let packages sneak snappy back in after it's been removed" APT rules and then install Ungoogled Chromium via Flatpak instead.

They're still up to their "let's be architecturally incompetent" tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
        - teams & steam don't start correctly, the programs start but there is no window, unusable, don't know yet how to debug
        I can't get Steam to start, either. The process launches, but nothing happens after that.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
          - teams & steam don't start correctly, the programs start but there is no window, unusable, don't know yet how to debug
          This might be the Chromium sandbox crashing important processes when using glibc 2.34 (due to clone3). Did you try Flatpak?

Comment

I'm most excited about Kinoite for F35.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

, it seems Canonical doesn't contribute anything to anything anymore.
              I suspect they contribute more now than they did then.

They used to be good about shouting about and claiming features developed by others. These days you see their engineers quietly at work in upstream issue queues instead.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Seeing as how GNOME is default on most distributions yet Plasma has equal usage according to most reporting metrics,
                This is very interesting to read considering I have never seen properusage metrics comparing the two. Any pointers where to look?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  Indeed, when i strace the process and filter on EPERM:
                  [pid 110072] --- SIGSYS {si_signo=SIGSYS, si_code=SYS_SECCOMP, si_errno=EPERM, si_call_addr=0x7f5a1b17866d, si_syscall=__NR_clone3, si_arch=AUDIT_ARCH_X86_64} ---

It looks to be related.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

This is very interesting to read considering I have never seen properusage metrics comparing the two. Any pointers where to look?
                    I'm going off of surveys I've come across over the years, Gaming On Linux user stats, jumping to conclusions with Debian Popcon, etc.

Take the Debain Main Meta package results for example. Since we get GNOME (just "gnome") by default with a graphical installation, so, head math, over 45% of those installed KDE (since "gnome-core" is a common dependency and "gnome-games" is just games that KDE, Mate, Cinnamon people may use too) and 60% installed Mate or XFCE. 45% KDE, 60% Mate/XFCE (that math works since GNOME, KDE, Mate, and XFCE can all be installed at the same time). That's Debian's reported numbers from the people who care to report them. 105% means that enough people don't like GNOME (and then KDE or Mate) that they try things out until they find what sticks...but they clearly don't like GNOME.

The other number to note is the ones who installed just "init"....or headless users. 6x more of them than default GNOME users. Kind of shows that most of Debian's userbase doesn't use a GUI.

Comment

I had some some conversation with RH's John Baublitz last week, in which he allowed he'd a hacked Anaconda that could install Fedora / on a stratis partition. I hope it appears in fc35, but he made no such representation.

Incidentally, the context was copying an fc34 installation onto a stratis partition, and John helped me immensely with that. The key was an selinux "restorecon -R /" on the new filesystem before it would boot. Adding a one-time "autorelabel=1" to my boot flags also worked.

Comment

Working...
                      X