Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.10 Performance Still Pushing Ahead Of Windows 10, Latest Windows 11 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomas View Post
    This is the worst BS I've read in a long time. Do you have anything to back up this claim? Any relevant reference would do. Are you talking about some performance regression when upgrading to a newer kernel or do you mean some inherent "mythical bit rot" in the Linux software architecture itself that would cause performance degradation over time?
    ​​​​
    As soon as you google "ubuntu slows down after a while", first thing that pops up:

"Over time however, your Ubuntu 18.04 installation can become more sluggish. This can be due to small amounts of free disk space or possible low virtual memory due to the number of programs you’ve downloaded."

I have been using Linux since the old CompUSA days, back when you could walk into the store and buy the 8 or 9 cd set of Suse for about $80 and it came with a book. Back before Fedora existed, when LILO was still used and before Ximian Gnome existed. Linux rot is a very real thing, caused by various things, for instance Fedora/Gnome had this nasty memory leak that would eventually eat up all your free ram and leave the system practically unresponsive.

Linux disk fragmentation is atrocious due to the way Linux native file systems store files, it doesn't fragment as quickly as the older Windows file system but when it does it really is a mess, though in all fairness the advent of SSD's, and Nvme's in particular, have really made fragmentation largely a non-issue.

BTW, I would never claim that Windows installations degrade in performance over time nowadays. I know it used to be an actual problem many years ago often related to the registry getting more and more bloated over time. Also file system fragmentation on Windows was a actual performance problem a long time ago. I believe those inherent problems in Windows have since long been fixed.
    You are correct, I would say Win 10 has largely eliminated the registry bloating issue, Win 7. as much as I liked it, still at times could get sluggish.

The "file system fragmentation on Windows" issue was fixed the same way the "file system fragmentation on Linux" issue was resolved, we eliminated spinning rust and the seeking heads they used and so while file fragmentation still happens, it no longer causes any problems.

But install either Windows 10 or the latest distro on an old 5400 rpm drive, start filling it up with files and deleting them and watch the performance of either plummet.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

As soon as you google "ubuntu slows down after a while", first thing that pops up:

"Over time however, your Ubuntu 18.04 installation can become more sluggish. This can be due to small amounts of free disk space or possible low virtual memory due to the number of programs you’ve downloaded."

I have been using Linux since the old CompUSA days, back when you could walk into the store and buy the 8 or 9 cd set of Suse for about $80 and it came with a book. Back before Fedora existed, when LILO was still used and before Ximian Gnome existed. Linux rot is a very real thing, caused by various things, for instance Fedora/Gnome had this nasty memory leak that would eventually eat up all your free ram and leave the system practically unresponsive.

Linux disk fragmentation is atrocious due to the way Linux native file systems store files, it doesn't fragment as quickly as the older Windows file system but when it does it really is a mess, though in all fairness the advent of SSD's, and Nvme's in particular, have really made fragmentation largely a non-issue.

You are correct, I would say Win 10 has largely eliminated the registry bloating issue, Win 7. as much as I liked it, still at times could get sluggish.

The "file system fragmentation on Windows" issue was fixed the same way the "file system fragmentation on Linux" issue was resolved, we eliminated spinning rust and the seeking heads they used and so while file fragmentation still happens, it no longer causes any problems.

But install either Windows 10 or the latest distro on an old 5400 rpm drive, start filling it up with files and deleting them and watch the performance of either plummet.
      it's like baking bread you need to rotated your data.

I am more worried Linux is missing features which windows already has:
      the keystroke loggin, the phone home data ping, the built in assassin - I mean assistant that is really a communist comrade spying neighbor.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

it's like baking bread you need to rotated your data.

I am more worried Linux is missing features which windows already has:
        the keystroke loggin, the phone home data ping, the built in assassin - I mean assistant that is really a communist comrade spying neighbor.
        I don't know what kind of drugs you are on but you need to get help, they are frying your brain.

Comment

Working...
        X