Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Looking To Bolster EPEL

Phoronix: Red Hat Looking To Bolster EPEL

Red Hat is said to be establishing a "small team" to work on activities around EPEL, the "Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux" that is popular with RHEL/CentOS users for easily fetching extra packages not available via RHEL proper...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that RH doesn't just start killing EPEL!

Comment

Originally posted by chilek View Post
      They won't, they will just improve it by restircting EPEL to their costumers and offering EPEL-stream to CentOS-stream users for more consistency.

Comment

why would RedHat do that? my guess they want more people working on EPEL than Fedora RPMFusion

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

why would RedHat do that? my guess they want more people working on EPEL than Fedora RPMFusion
          CentOS?
          Rob
          email: [email protected]

Comment

They are already playing slight silly games using sleazy words like "Next"

Probably hoping to lead people to believe that the future of EPEL is building to target CentOS-current and screw anyone else.
            Last edited by kpedersen; 03 September 2021, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post

CentOS?
              CentOS Stream will take over from Fedora IMO. there's already more fedora Devs working on CentOS Stream

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Probably hoping to lead people to believe that the future of EPEL is building to target CentOS-current and screw anyone else.
                Sounds like Red Hat has been studying from Microsoft's EEE playbook.

Comment

EPEL Stream!

Comment

I see the standard delusional responses are out in force today, and I get it's totally trendy to hate on Red Hat, yay internet points! :P (I do hope some of it is truly sarcasm)

Originally posted by Setif View Post

They won't, they will just improve it by restircting EPEL to their costumers and offering EPEL-stream to CentOS-stream users for more consistency.
                    There would literally be no reason to do this whatsoever, and would gain absolutely nothing. EPEL is wholly unsupported in a Red Hat environment (Red Hat only cares about provides support for the packages they deliver). I'm not even going to try and touch on whether they could actually even do that if they wanted to because it's a beyond ridiculous sentiment.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

How is "Next" in any way sleazy? That's some serious subjectivity. It's not named "EPEL Stream" because (among other reasons) people would think there are now two different EPEL's depending on which distribution you're using, RHEL+deriv or Stream. There isn't. EPEL Next is an overlay repository for any packages that require a build separate from mainstream RHEL due to a rebuild requirement. It's not a complete clone of EPEL, there will only be a handful of packages in there. Did you even read the link you supplied?

The purpose of supplying a full time staff is so that package maintainers have more resources to deal with both RHEL and Stream, and provide the best experience possible to the distributions' consumers. Since when has more resources for community operated SIGs (remember, EPEL is a Fedora SIG) ever been a bad thing?

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

CentOS Stream will take over from Fedora IMO. there's already more fedora Devs working on CentOS Stream
                    How do you envision this working? CentOS Stream isn't there to work on upstream features and development. It's exclusively for the context of a given major release of RHEL. The next major release needs to come from somewhere, and that's Fedora with buildroot tests occurring in Fedora ELN.

Cheers,
                    Mike
                    Last edited by mroche; 03 September 2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X