Endeavour OS ISOs Updated With Better Btrfs Support, Pacman Parallel Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

if you have to spend hours learning how to install arch, you have a learning disability. its literally Ikea of distros now. before it was like a kit build, now its ikea. The instructions are well thought out, and the Easy guided install is as easy as any other distro, just text.
    Maybe. And I'm sure I would end up managing it if I took the time to try.
    But I don't want to go through the hassle of trying, maybe semi-failing once or twice before getting everything as I want it to be. And waste time in the process for very little benefits as I would set and use my system basically as it is now, as I've found the compromise that suits me.

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    Manjaro IS atrocious. It constantly, intentionally breaks support with aur. in fact it went so far as to duplicate grub, set a conflict with old grub, and grub-customizer, just so people couldn't install it from the AUR. I remember other situations, such as linux-vfio (though I doubt that was necessarily intentional) of aur breakages. so intentional, some not. at this point they should just run their own aur.
    What year are you talking about.
    Once again, I'm not exactly playing safe here by using AUR and unstable repositories, lots of possibilities to break the system with packages that are pushed early and possible de-synchronization between both, yet the ride has only been sailing through a calm sea. I have less dependencies issues than I had on Ubuntu, if any. And when there's some synchronization issue with the AUR (usually just for a few packages), 99.5% of the time refreshing the mirrors solves it, and for the 0.5% it's just a package that won't install as it cannot be found. A few days later tops, it's there again. Not something that you can be bothered with much.
    I haven't had the AUR down (as in nothing can be fetched or installed) in those 18 months.
    The only time I felt there might be some risk was when they pushed some Gnome 40/GTK 4 packages while they were still readying others. I saw some warning signs, waited it out a few days and it was all sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      Maybe. And I'm sure I would end up managing it if I took the time to try.
      But I don't want to go through the hassle of trying, maybe semi-failing once or twice before getting everything as I want it to be. And waste time in the process for very little benefits as I would set and use my system basically as it is now, as I've found the compromise that suits me.
      As I said, people don't want to spend time in doing it the right way, even if it does take less then an hour of attention.

What year are you talking about.
      Once again, I'm not exactly playing safe here by using AUR and unstable repositories, lots of possibilities to break the system with packages that are pushed early and possible de-synchronization between both, yet the ride has only been sailing through a calm sea. I have less dependencies issues than I had on Ubuntu, if any. And when there's some synchronization issue with the AUR (usually just for a few packages), 99.5% of the time refreshing the mirrors solves it, and for the 0.5% it's just a package that won't install as it cannot be found. A few days later tops, it's there again. Not something that you can be bothered with much.
      I haven't had the AUR down (as in nothing can be fetched or installed) in those 18 months.
      The only time I felt there might be some risk was when they pushed some Gnome 40/GTK 4 packages while they were still readying others. I saw some warning signs, waited it out a few days and it was all sorted out.
      Literally this year. Grub customizer is still artificially blocked in manjaro, there is a thread on the forum where last mod post was jun 1st. the maintainers haven't magically changed. they still do stupid shit like this. there is a reason the wiki and forums explicitly state to not expect getting help when using a derivative, because each derivative keeps doing asinine shit like this. not only that, they blamed an arbitrary issue on grub customizer, then locked the thread without giving anyone time to try and diagnose the issue. even though in my case, it most certainly did NOT cause the issue, and was the only fix. this is NOT the mods and maintainers of a distro that should ever be pointed to linux beginners.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/grub-cus...ckage/44509/13

Comment

Working...
      X