Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Release Schedule Published

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Release Schedule Published

While Ubuntu 21.10 isn't being released for another two months, the release schedule for Ubuntu 22.04 has been published that is rather notable in being the next bi-annual long-term support (LTS) release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would also be nice to see Pipewire replace Pulseaudio in 22.04 LTS as it's much much better than Pulseaudio (at least in my experience). It fixed virtually every issue I had with Pulseaudio and didn't add any of its own. For example, Pulseaudio has some really weird behavior like constantly changing the sample rate between 44100hz and 48000hz on my USB DAC which is really annoying. On Pipewire it's more similar to Mac and Windows - it always stays on 48000hz by default. In some cases, Pulseaudio also has an issue of sample rate mismatch (as a result of constantly messing with sample rates) - in this case everything sounds a few octaves lower, similar to how everything sounds in slow motion.
    Last edited by user1; 27 August 2021, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      It would also be nice to see Pipewire replace Pulseaudio in 22.04 LTS as it's much much better than Pulseaudio (at least in my experience). It fixed virtually every issue I had with Pulseaudio and didn't add any of its own. For example, Pulseaudio has some really weird behavior like constantly changing the sample rate between 44100hz and 48000hz on my USB DAC which is really annoying. On Pipewire it's more similar to Mac and Windows - it always stays on 48000hz by default. In some cases, Pulseaudio also has an issue of sample rate mismatch (as a result of constantly messing with sample rates) - in this case everything sounds a few octaves lower, similar to how everything sounds in slow motion.
      Bringing PipeWire to the table would definitely be a nice touch. It already works flawlessly on most hardware and to me the switch was basically transparent even though I mess with many different sources and outputs, external audio devices, JACK use-cases and so on.

However they might be a little sceptical, as the LTS releases aim for well tested solutions and as much stability as possible rather than innovations. They would add PipeWire after 1-2 regular Ubuntu releases when they can look at their bugtracker and see that it's not breaking anything for users.

Defaulting to Wayland is nice, though I wonder what's the situation with Electron apps regarding desktop screen casting using PipeWire. It doesn't seem like going anywhere for now - those are still experimental Chromium features disabled by default that need to be enabled using command line switches. Native Wayland backend for Electron is not a thing on GNOME yet due to lack of CSDs, though XWayland should be fine for now.
      That concerns me, because I see my coworkers using Ubuntu LTS with those apps and making online presentations every single day. Some of them might not be into finding out what's the problem and how to fix it, but rather immediately login back to X11 session.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

However they might be a little sceptical, as the LTS releases aim for well tested solutions and as much stability as possible rather than innovations. They would add PipeWire after 1-2 regular Ubuntu releases when they can look at their bugtracker and see that it's not breaking anything for users.

Defaulting to Wayland is nice, though...
        Had me in the first half, not gonna lie. That didn't compute for me. Not being mean or a bully. Just didn't compute. X11 stays default. PulseAudio stays default. Be consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Had me in the first half, not gonna lie. That didn't compute for me. Not being mean or a bully. Just didn't compute. X11 stays default. PulseAudio stays default. Be consistent.
          I can't see where's the inconsistency is, really. There will be 2 releases with default Wayland session before the 22.04 LTS already. Looks like they didn't encounter any crucial issues this time and I haven't seen any sign of them being about to roll that back. I just said that they had no chance to test PW in any stable release so far, so that's unlikely to have that in the LTS release.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

I can't see where's the inconsistency is, really. There will be 2 releases with default Wayland session before the 22.04 LTS already. Looks like they didn't encounter any crucial issues this time and I haven't seen any sign of them being about to roll that back. I just said that they had no chance to test PW in any stable release so far, so that's unlikely to have that in the LTS release.
            Personally, I don't understand why people compare the transition from Pulseaudio to Pipewire to the transition from X to Wayland. I mean audio is much simpler if you compare it to a complete display stack. If Canonical is focusing on making Wayland the default in 22.04 LTS, when Wayland still has some serious flaws like forced vsync or other rough edges, I'm sure making the switch to Pipewire will not be an issue for LTS. Unlike Wayland, I haven't experienced any issues with Pipewire and I haven't even heard someone experiencing any serious isues with it. Like maybe some small ones that are most likely even issues on the user's end. So I think even one release before LTS is enough to test Pipewire.

Comment

Apparently, that's already being discussed and they want to switch to PW, though it's not confirmed yet: https://youtu.be/SmthCRF-NQQ?t=741

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                For example, Pulseaudio has some really weird behavior like constantly changing the sample rate between 44100hz and 48000hz on my USB DAC which is really annoying.
                You can easily configure this in daemon.conf
                Also, why would you want everything resampled to 48k? If you're playing 44.1k audio, why would you want it needlessly resampled to 48k?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

You can easily configure this in daemon.conf
                  Also, why would you want everything resampled to 48k? If you're playing 44.1k audio, why would you want it needlessly resampled to 48k?
                  My USB DAC makes an audible click each time it changes sample rate according to the source and it also results in a slight delay before audio starts playing (the DAC has a display which shows the current sample rate). It might not be a problem with onboard audio, but with a USB DAC like mine it's annoying when it constantly switches between 44100hz and 48000hz sources like that. I would actually like to know why is this the default behavior in Pulseaudio? Is it trying to deliver bit perfect audio or something? If you want bit perfect audio on Linux, you just use ALSA directly anyway AFAIK. I think the way Pipewire works (only 48000hz by default just like on Mac and Windows) is the sane default behavior.
                  Last edited by user1; 27 August 2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

PHP 8 will be good for servers.

Waland is now stable on the last lts (used to crash).
                    For me the last lts needs upstream kernel, blender, chromium, fontforge, eclipse, and netbeans, nodejs. Maybe Pop, Arch or Tumbleweed would be more suitable... Meh; it works.
                    Last edited by elatllat; 27 August 2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X