Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS Released With Fixes, Newer Hardware Enablement Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linner View Post
    Can we talk about how hard snaps suck? Ugh. Flatpak sucks too. Both snap and flatpak have ridiculous overhead. Crazy mounts all over the place (snap) and stupid amounts of files cached all over the place in system directories (flatpak).

AppImage is so much better than all of that. Though I believe it should only be used where it makes sense, eg. heavyweight single apps like FreeCAD, Blender, etc. It seems like Ubuntu is trying to shove everything they can in to snaps, it's stupid and sucks up resources.
    Here's an example of a snap that I love: multipass.

How do you install it?

Code:
    sudo snap install multipass
    Done. Couldn't have made it simpler for me. I appreciate that greatly.

Tell me, what's so terribly disgusting and vile about that? I want to know. I want to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Here's an example of a snap that I love: multipass.

How do you install it?

Code:
      sudo snap install multipass
      Done. Couldn't have made it simpler for me. I appreciate that greatly.

Tell me, what's so terribly disgusting and vile about that? I want to know. I want to learn.
      I don't have an issue with any of these new packaging formats and I'm quite excited to see how they're improving Linux on both the desktop and server side of things. What I don't like is when they're forced on you such as they are with Ubuntu's of a few Snaps for some default applications. Yes I know you can remove them, but that's not really the point. There's also the example of installing Chromium via APT where they'll prompt to install Snapd if you've removed it along with the Snap version of Chromium. This doesn't ruin Ubuntu for me, but it sets a bad precedent imo. I'm a big proponent of OPT-in, and this is a clear example of OPT-out (much like Facebook and Google). I don't really like this trend and would almost prefer paying for my software if that's what it took to avoid OPT-out/feature creep.

Politics and personal idealism aside, both Snaps and Flatpaks are fine... The only thing I would prefer is if Snaps were uncompressed by default so that load times weren't affected. Oh, and the fact that only Canonical host Snaps at the moment isn't really a great thing for their adoption either imo.

TL;DR, Everything negative about Snaps/Flatpaks is mostly for political/idealistic reasons - they're generally fine and will probably improve the Linux experience for most casual users.

Comment

That's funny, show's the important of commas. No I meant to put "(sudo snap remove gnome-logs && sudo apt install gnome-logs), for example"

But since you asked, here's what I get on a fresh 20.04.3 Live Image:

Code:
        ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ snap list
        Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
        core18 20210722 2128 latest/stable canonical✓ base
        gnome-3-34-1804 0+git.3556cb3 72 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
        gtk-common-themes 0.1-52-gb92ac40 1515 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
        snap-store 3.38.0-64-g23c4c77 547 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
        snapd 2.51.3 12704 latest/stable canonical✓ snapd
        ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ apt list --installed | grep 'gnome-'

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

..trimmed code..
        gnome-calculator/focal,now 1:3.36.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
        gnome-calendar/focal-updates,now 3.36.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
        gnome-characters/focal,now 3.34.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
        gnome-logs/focal-updates,now 3.34.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
        gnome-system-monitor/focal-updates,now 3.36.1-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
        gnome-terminal/focal-updates,now 3.36.2-1ubuntu1~20.04 amd64 [installed,automatic]
        So it appears they have fixed their previous flub. Ubuntu 20.04.3 is a very smooth OS. If you haven't used Ubuntu in a couple years or a few years, in my opinion, it's worth giving a shot, but to each their own. I know it's a personal choice and people feel strongly about it.

For those on 20.04, check out the kisak-ppa (supports 18.04, 20.04, 21.04) if you want the latest Mesa (21.2.1 as of today). I'm noticing seriously more fluid OS experience after updating Mesa (even after the updated one 20.04.3 comes with, which I believe was 21.0.3 but could be slightly newer... I'm on focal-proposed so I've been using that for a while).
        Both Ubuntu and Debian are great distros. For the most part it really depends which distro you use imo. For most users something like Ubuntu, Manjaro or Pop!_OS are good choices. If you just want to game and have an NVIDIA card then it seems Pop!_OS is the best route as they've made it quick and simple to get things up and running.

Comment

3000 years ago (Ubuntu 6.06) I installed Ubuntu, then saved most config files (xorg.conf) and then installed Debian, using those (auto) configs e.g. to have a hassle free xserver setup So thanks to Ubuntu for making Linux accessible back in the day.

Also Ubuntu 20.04 is great (even though I'm not a fan of Gnome and prefer Debian with xfce or actually opensuse)

Comment

Originally posted by nado
            There's also the example of installing Chromium via APT where they'll prompt to install Snapd if you've removed it along with the Snap version of Chromium. This doesn't ruin Ubuntu for me, but it sets a bad precedent imo.
            That wasn’t a political decision, as if they were doing it to promote their container format. Chromium comes out with releases very frequently, and they didn’t want to have to maintain packages for every version for their multiple distributions. There is no distribution that doesn’t have trouble with packaging Chromium and keeping it up to date. With snaps you can avoid that problem.

I keep Chromium around as an alternative browser for testing. It starts up slower the first time you launch it, but is otherwise identical. If you look at Debian as an example, they actually recommend just running Firefox instead for security reasons. Even Fedora doesn’t keep it up to date.

Comment

Seriously, thank you for saving me the time. moilami STFU

edit: I wanna apologize to the arch/KDE crowd I called the black sheep of the Linux community in that thread. I lashed out but it's really people like moilami that I just cannot stand. It's not noble at all and I have zero respect for it.
              You should be less emotionally invested fanboy and get some rational and objective observations of how things are in real. But if that is not easy for you, then the least you can do is become less aggressive if your selected product is being perceived less biased and voiced as what it is.

Criticism on your fanboyish opinions are not attacks on you. They are literelly criticism of your fanboyish opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

You should be less emotionally invested fanboy and get some rational and objective observations of how things are in real. But if that is not easy for you, then the least you can do is become less aggressive if your selected product is being perceived less biased and voiced as what it is.

Criticism on your fanboyish opinions are not attacks on you. They are literelly criticism of your fanboyish opinions.
                Ha, only fan boy here is actually just you. Not fooling or intimidating anyone, sir. Your lies might work elsewhere but not while I’m still here alive and breathing. Get lost, bud. Not interested in your weak, fanatic, zealot behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

tildearrow, you wanna moderate? Here's the mf right here, officer. Get him. Caught red-handed. 2012 account that no one cares about trying to initimidate others on the forum. Probably why you stopped posting. We stopped listening and feeding the anonymous troll.

Your esoteric opinions are welcome to be kept, to yourself. That's FUD. Baseless. Useless. You're a nobody, moilami. Offline or online.

Should be booted. You provide nothing here. Never even heard of you before. Run along, sir. Liars are not welcome here.

Comment

Ubuntu *is* Debian, I don't need to front and run debian just to prove it. I rather slim down Ubuntu then bloat up Debian to my liking.
                    I agree with pretty much everything you said except for that. That's like saying that Manjaro is Arch....it's not. Just because they have similar/the same tools underneath doesn't make them the same.

FWIW, I totally agree with the philosophy of slimming down what works versus building up what might not; especially when it's like Debian/Ubuntu and you're dealing with free/non-free/restricted/etc repositories. That shit is just easier on Ubuntu so you can get to work faster with less initial configure time and less long-term maintenance time. It's not how I'd prefer to do it on my PC, but I totally get it and can see things from that perspective. I don't necessarily want to configure my microwave or steak knife, but I don't mind taking the time on my computer or car. Different strokes, different folks. Different ways for different means.

moilami You obviously have no idea the overlap of Ubuntu and Debian developers. You wouldn't say things like that if you did. Click some of the links that 144Hz posts from time to time and you'll get an idea...might even clue you in now if that @ goes through.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I agree with pretty much everything you said except for that. That's like saying that Manjaro is Arch....it's not. Just because they have similar/the same tools underneath doesn't make them the same.

FWIW, I totally agree with the philosophy of slimming down what works versus building up what might not; especially when it's like Debian/Ubuntu and you're dealing with free/non-free/restricted/etc repositories. That shit is just easier on Ubuntu so you can get to work faster with less initial configure time and less long-term maintenance time. It's not how I'd prefer to do it on my PC, but I totally get it and can see things from that perspective. I don't necessarily want to configure my microwave or steak knife, but I don't mind taking the time on my computer or car. Different strokes, different folks. Different ways for different means.

moilami You obviously have no idea the overlap of Ubuntu and Debian developers. You wouldn't say things like that if you did. Click some of the links that 144Hz posts from time to time and you'll get an idea...might even clue you in now if that @ goes through.
                      Fair enough, not disagreeing with you. He was an obvious troll and had to be dealt with accordingly.

The fact that tildearrow took the liberty to censor Linuxxx and me (me, I understand, what exactly did Linuxxx do?) Michael that's actually an egregious abuse of powers. Please look into revoking. I paid $100 for the lifetime membership to support *you* because I thought you were the sole operator. This has never happened before. You give tildearrow the power, and he's already inappropriately (and outrageously) abused it and showed he may not be able to be trusted to moderate the discussion responsibily. I'm just saying.

Comment

Working...
                      X