Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moilami View Post
    Nope, Ubuntu is not Debian.
    Yes, Ubuntu is Debian. It's built on top of Debian. The rest of your post was irrelevant but we thank you for sharing.

Edit: Ubuntu is a "flavor" of the Debian distribution. A very popular flavor thats turned into its own beast.

But, if you look underneath the covers, there it is. There's Debian. Watching. Waiting. When that changes, I'll let you know.
    Last edited by perpetually high; 26 August 2021, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Once upon a time you did an article: "FreeBSD: A Faster Platform For Linux Gaming Than Linux?" aka ubuntu vs freebsd gaming.

Do you think we could get a reboot article?

Comment

tildearrow
        Cool, so you felt authorized enough to remove my post now?

Michael
        I thought You were a believer in free speech?
        Then how come a post that doesn't break any rules gets removed, just because of an entitled moderator that doesn't agree with it personally?

Comment

I have no idea why Michael (again) censored both of our earlier posts. I ignored it instead of making it a big stink about it, and just decided to re-comment.

Michael, he straight up lied. Can’t expect people to always be nice and polite. Sometimes you gotta be mean.

Edit: Wait it was tildearrow? Makes sense now. Michael would never. Let that be the last time he does that lame shit or I’m out.

Edit 2: tildearrow aka ~> aka stick to the grammar, bud bud. Ain't no one asking you to moderate. Ain't smart enough. Guy doesn't even know how "queueing" is spelled, and we're trusting *this* dude to moderate our posts? No. Had no idea Michael wasn't the sole operator of this website. Let that be the last time tildearrow.
          Last edited by perpetually high; 26 August 2021, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            I have no idea why Michael (again) censored both of our earlier posts. I ignored it instead of making it a big stink about it, and just decided to re-comment.

Michael, he straight up lied. Can’t expect people to always be nice and polite. Sometimes you gotta be mean.

Edit: Wait it was tildearrow? Makes sense now. Michael would never. Let that be the last time he does that lame shit or I’m out.

Edit 2: tildearrow aka ~> aka stick to the grammar, bud bud. Ain't no one asking you to moderate. Ain't smart enough. Guy doesn't even know how "queueing" is spelled, and we're trusting *this* dude to moderate our posts? No. Had no idea Michael wasn't the sole operator of this website. Let that be the last time tildearrow.
            Your posts have been restored, as I just read that you apologized in it. I hereby apologize for the issue.
            Personally I just feel bad that many people have left Phoronix due to the constant flame wars.

However, I am fully aware that queuing and queueing are both valid forms in English...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Your posts have been restored, as I just read that you apologized in it. I hereby apologize for the issue.
              Personally I just feel bad that many people have left Phoronix due to the constant flame wars.

However, I am fully aware that queuing and queueing are both valid forms in English...
              Big respect to you for that. I know I came in hot, but you have to understand how dangerous that is; especially after he straight lied. Thanks again.

About queuing vs queueing, again, I have no bias, I just defer to Quora:

You have to use Queueing as it is the word with the longest consecutive use of vowels. – user52278
              At MIT, I was taught that the MIT spelling is "queueing"---after all who can resist a word with five vowels in a row. – user85929
              My beef was with the other guy, not you. But I'm glad we got this sorted out. I also want a healthier atmosphere here. Way too many smart people on here not participating because of the flame wars. Cheers.

Comment

Can we talk about how hard snaps suck? Ugh. Flatpak sucks too. Both snap and flatpak have ridiculous overhead. Crazy mounts all over the place (snap) and stupid amounts of files cached all over the place in system directories (flatpak).

AppImage is so much better than all of that. Though I believe it should only be used where it makes sense, eg. heavyweight single apps like FreeCAD, Blender, etc. It seems like Ubuntu is trying to shove everything they can in to snaps, it's stupid and sucks up resources.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

You're not wrong, they tried to speed up adoption by using snaps for gnome-logs, gnome-system-monitor, etc. It was a bad decision in my opinion as it was premature at the time (slow loadup times, just no incentive to use snap), and it shyed away a lot of users. So one of the first things I do on Ubuntu is uninstall those particular snaps and install the deb pkg equivalent through apt. (sudo snap remove gnome-logs && sudo apt install gnome-logs) for example

However, once you get passed those Ubuntu quirks, it's a solid OS. There are many things I change though, so it's disingenuous to act like I'm using a vanilla Ubuntu/GNOME setup, but that's the beauty of it too, nothing's stopping people from installing extensions or themes.

1) Alt-tab switch popup delay removal
                  2) Arc Menu
                  3) Clipboard Indicator
                  4) Dash to Panel
                  5) Panel osd (configure where notificatinos show up)
                  6) Sound input & volume chooser (quicker access)
                  7) Toggle mute on middle click
                  8) User themes

Those are all my extensions. Need every single one of them. I'm very happy with Ubuntu. Will likely never switch. Not even to vanilla Debian after thinking about it. Ubuntu *is* Debian, I don't need to front and run debian just to prove it. I rather slim down Ubuntu then bloat up Debian to my liking.

"for example" ... was there going to be a list of packages that you swap out?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Kind of off topic and a side-note, but I just wanted to touch on the flame wars thing.

I think about this from time to time and I often hear that the Linux community is toxic or unfriendly etc. I don't really agree with this sentiment, there are unfriendly people in any avenue where people are passionate about something. My current theory as to why there are so many polarizing views/opinions when it comes to Linux is that there is a lot of tribalism. I tend to assume that most Linux users who talk about Linux or open-source related topics online are more than just casual users and are more likely to be tech enthusiasts. With this great interest/passion there will undoubtedly be those with strong opinions and this in turn is what causes the flame wars. This may be obvious to others, but I think that's what really is at the root of the flame wars.

I also think that as long as people are civilized about it and don't resort to personal attacks, these flame wars aren't inherently a bad thing. I appreciate that there are many parts of the Linux world that have spun out of or been inspired by things that I don't necessarily like or have an interest in. A good example would be how Apple changed the way smartphones and apps are today. Whether you like Apple or not, I think most can agree with this to an extent. /rantoff

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                      "for example" ... was there going to be a list of packages that you swap out?
                      That's funny, show's (edit: and if we're getting really pedantic, should be "shows", leaving the typo and emphasizing the role of proper apostrophes, /end edit) the importance of commas. No I meant to put "sudo snap remove gnome-logs && sudo apt install gnome-logs, for example"

But since you asked, here's what I get on a fresh 20.04.3 Live Image:

Code:
                      ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ snap list
                      Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
                      core18 20210722 2128 latest/stable canonical✓ base
                      gnome-3-34-1804 0+git.3556cb3 72 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
                      gtk-common-themes 0.1-52-gb92ac40 1515 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
                      snap-store 3.38.0-64-g23c4c77 547 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
                      snapd 2.51.3 12704 latest/stable canonical✓ snapd
                      ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ apt list --installed | grep 'gnome-'

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

..trimmed code..
                      gnome-calculator/focal,now 1:3.36.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                      gnome-calendar/focal-updates,now 3.36.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                      gnome-characters/focal,now 3.34.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                      gnome-logs/focal-updates,now 3.34.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                      gnome-system-monitor/focal-updates,now 3.36.1-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                      gnome-terminal/focal-updates,now 3.36.2-1ubuntu1~20.04 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                      So it appears they have fixed their previous flub. Ubuntu 20.04.3 is a very smooth OS. If you haven't used Ubuntu in a couple years or a few years, in my opinion, it's worth giving a shot, but to each their own. I know it's a personal choice and people feel strongly about it.

For those on 20.04, check out the kisak-ppa (supports 18.04, 20.04, 21.04) if you want the latest Mesa (21.2.1 as of today). I'm noticing seriously more fluid OS experience after updating Mesa (even after the updated one 20.04.3 comes with, which I believe was 21.0.3 but could be slightly newer... I'm on focal-proposed so I've been using that for a while).
                      Last edited by perpetually high; 27 August 2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X