Debian 11 Performance Uplift Is Looking Great For Intel Xeon, AMD EPYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 11 Performance Uplift Is Looking Great For Intel Xeon, AMD EPYC

Phoronix: Debian 11 Performance Uplift Is Looking Great For Intel Xeon, AMD EPYC

This past weekend marked the release of Debian 11 "Bullseye" as the newest version of this major Linux distribution that is also the basis for many others. Given the popularity of Debian stable on servers, our first round of Debian 11.0 benchmarking is looking at the performance relative to Debian 10.10 on latest-generation Intel Xeon "Ice Lake" and AMD EPYC "Milan" hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kernel Details:

- Transparent Huge Pages: always
    More than anything else this proves that Debian is fundamentally still a server-oriented OS, with Ubuntu having switched over to the saner upstream approach of "madvise" a long time ago.

Comment

Looks to me like the performance improvements are simply from having better support for the newer hardware. I'm wondering if you ran benchmarks of these two on a 5-year old server, would you still see performance gains with Debian 11?

Comment

Could we have a sequel ? Debian 11 Performance Uplift Part Deux : single socket showdown ? 5950x vs intel

Part3ld boys: z230 hp vs what amd equivalent you have.

Comment

I'm more interested in debian base for docker images. Debian-slim has always been a decent tradeoff of resource usage, performance and stability.
          Musl is improving year over year, but for some workloads is either not as reliable, or notably slower. The reliability issues with some systems drove me to use debian-slim much more.
          (e.g. gunicorn and alpine = weird errors)

Comment

Proxmox 7.x is based on Debian-Bullseye

Comment

Working...
            X