Manjaro 21.1 Released With Better Btrfs Support, GNOME 40 Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
    Btrfs is on track to becoming 'the' Linux filesystem.

And Manjaro would be on track to becoming DW's #1 distro, if only it weren't for that one major advantage MX-Linux enjoys.
    So curiosity got the better of me and I decided to look into this "MX Linux distro I had never heard of... First thing I read is this on the homepage:

MX Linux is a cooperative venture between the antiX and MX Linux communities. It is a family of operating systems that are designed to combine elegant and efficient desktops with high stability and solid performance.

"Ok, that doesn't really say anything of substance beyond that its apparently based on something called antiX? Never heard of that either, wonder what it is..."

A quick Google search lands me on the antiX homepage, which describes it as

Proudly anti-fascist "antiX Magic" in an environment suitable for old and new computers.

"Anti-facist Linux distro? I wasn't aware other distros were pro-facism..."

Reading down the page a bit...

antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install systemd-free linux live CD distribution based on Debian Stable for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. antiX offers users the “antiX Magic” in an environment suitable for old and new computers. So don’t throw away that old computer yet!
    Lol if there was ever a "facist" Linux distro, it most certainly was NOT Debian. Furthermore it's based on Debian STABLE, which itself consists of packages a good 6-12mo older than anything you will find in Manjaro, much less qa "minimal modification" rolling release distro like Arch itself.

After scrolling down another half page or so to find videos/screenshots advertising a gui desktop that looks straight out of a 1990s CDE advertisement and I closed the browser tab.

Unless "90s garbage xfce theme" is this "one advantage" you spoke of, I call BS 😂

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
      Btrfs is on track to becoming 'the' Linux filesystem.

And Manjaro would be on track to becoming DW's #1 distro, if only it weren't for that one major advantage MX-Linux enjoys.
      Imagine caring about the low traffic numbers of DistroWatch statistics in 2021. It's all about Steam Hardware Survey Statistics now.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

So curiosity got the better of me and I decided to look into this "MX Linux distro I had never heard of... First thing I read is this on the homepage:

"Ok, that doesn't really say anything of substance beyond that its apparently based on something called antiX? Never heard of that either, wonder what it is..."

A quick Google search lands me on the antiX homepage, which describes it as[/B]

Reading down the page a bit...

Lol if there was ever a "facist" Linux distro, it most certainly was NOT Debian. Furthermore it's based on Debian STABLE, which itself consists of packages a good 6-12mo older than anything you will find in Manjaro, much less qa "minimal modification" rolling release distro like Arch itself.

After scrolling down another half page or so to find videos/screenshots advertising a gui desktop that looks straight out of a 1990s CDE advertisement and I closed the browser tab.

Unless "90s garbage xfce theme" is this "one advantage" you spoke of, I call BS 😂

Let's be honest their "advantage" is probably a cron job that pings DistroWatch everyday in order to inflate their counts.

Comment

The crazy part is that pro-fascist distros do actually exist. For example there is Red Star OS, the official distro of the North Korean regime.

There is also that one that shall not be named, which at one point had Holocaust-denying material within its forums and one of their people famously used "wolfschanze" as a hostname.

I don't know this self-proclaimed antifa distro but with an attitude and a discourse like that I wouldn't be surprised if it was also the most authoritarian and inquisitorial community one could imagien.

Comment

If the advantage they speak of is seriously a lack of systemd, no wonder danmcgrew didn't just come out and say it.

Comment

As long as Manjaro insists on installing Kvantum theme manager I will never use their distro. I consider Kvantum blotware. I really like most of Garuda too but they also insist on installing Kvantum.

Comment

Originally posted by shanedav4 View Post
                As long as Manjaro insists on installing Kvantum theme manager I will never use their distro. I consider Kvantum blotware. I really like most of Garuda too but they also insist on installing Kvantum.
                you must hate beautiful kde desktops. tbh i wish kde would just replace their stock qt theme manager with kvantum and be done with it.

Comment

I'm waiting for a good Anti-Anti-Fa distro the takes a baseball bat and blowtorch to CoC communists in a SJW mask. Wake me when that happy day arrives.

Comment

Working...
                  X