Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware 15.0 Coming Soon With RC1 Released

Phoronix: Slackware 15.0 Coming Soon With RC1 Released

Not only did Debian 11 make it out this weekend, but Slackware 15 is finally up to its release candidate phase as the next major installment of this long-running Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good old Slack...

Comment

Slackware was maybe my first Linux distribution, I also an early version of Red Hat and Corel Linux that I got on a CD when I bought a PC magazine.
      I learnt a lot about Linux using Slackware.

It was quite easy to mess it up though, the package manager had no dependency resolution. But it was fun building your own kernels.

Comment

My PC I leave connected to my TV is still running Slackware 14.2; almost bummed I have to upgrade it soon after not upgrading the OS for years

Comment

I updated Slackware64-current to RC1 earlier today.

Comment

"While Slackware is one of the oldest still-maintained Linux distributions out there"
            It's not just "one of the oldest", it is the oldest.

Comment

My favourite Linux Distro. in fact, the only that i use.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                My favourite Linux Distro. in fact, the only that i use.
                I use it where I can (including this machine), otherwise it's Void Linux or OpenBSD depending on the use case. Slackware is great when you need Linux and you want "everything and the kitchen sink", Void is better for Linux in a minimalist environment where you can start small and build up, and OpenBSD is just a joy to use on Thinkpad laptops, servers, and embedded devices.

Comment

All I want from an OpSys is to never have anything run that I didn't allow or initiate. That one caveat saves so much time and offers so much power. I'm going to occasionally screw up but that's not a big problem when I only have to retrace one or 2 steps, and that connection makes me learn to "get gud". Automated dependency resolution is a crutch. I spend far less time handling dependencies in Slackware than I do chasing faults in automation that somebody else wrote up. The worst that can happen when building an app in Slack is that one app won't launch or run correctly. Other apps, let alone the Base System is never at risk. I like that

Comment

And there was much rejoicing from long-time Slackware users like me! I can't remember if I used SLS or Slackware for my very first Linux install in 1994 or 1995, but I've been almost exclusively Slackware since for my daily / desktop. I still have some windows boxes for gaming, etc, but Slack on a daily basis. Makes me happy!

Edit: I should also point out - while 14.0 was a long time ago, there have been 14.1 and 14.2 releases in the meantime. 14.2 to 15.0 HAS been a while - IIRC, 14.2 was around 2018 - but it's not like there's been NOTHING happening for 10 years. Plus, Slack is a rolling release, so anytime someone can upgrade to "current" to get an updated system..
                    Last edited by vw_fan17; 17 August 2021, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X