No announcement yet.

Slackware 15.0 Coming Soon With RC1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vw_fan17 we must live in different dimensions because Slackware is not now nor has ever been a rolling release. Current is like Testing, though extremely stable, gets updated frequently because it is a development release. Some people like it as a "snapshot" system and rarely participate in the update process but the Official Full Releases mainly only update as security patches as they become available. If you have been a longtime Slacker you might enjoy visiting the LinuxQuestionsNetwork which has a few dozen distro subsections but has a superb Slackware community. Patrick posts and answers there as well as AlienBob, Robbie Workman, and other deep developers. The quality is basically without peer.

Comment

Originally posted by ParisStaltic View Post
      vw_fan17 we must live in different dimensions because Slackware is not now nor has ever been a rolling release. Current is like Testing, though extremely stable, gets updated frequently because it is a development release. Some people like it as a "snapshot" system and rarely participate in the update process but the Official Full Releases mainly only update as security patches as they become available. If you have been a longtime Slacker you might enjoy visiting the LinuxQuestionsNetwork which has a few dozen distro subsections but has a superb Slackware community. Patrick posts and answers there as well as AlienBob, Robbie Workman, and other deep developers. The quality is basically without peer.
      Well, dang.. It's been so long since I worried much about distributions (I've essentially used Slackware for 25 years, a few others briefly 15+ years ago), that I mis-used the term. My bad.

Comment

No biggie vw_fan17. Recently as we approach a new full release the number of updates have been massive and frequent and several started thinking of Current as a rolling release. The distinction between "development" and "rolling" is blurry but of some importance, so there is some importance in keeping it straight since we will likely have some new people trying out Slackware. Someone expecting a rolling release would likely find Slackware boring since it requires so little work once setup.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Slackware was maybe my first Linux distribution, I also an early version of Red Hat and Corel Linux that I got on a CD when I bought a PC magazine.
          I learnt a lot about Linux using Slackware.

It was quite easy to mess it up though, the package manager had no dependency resolution. But it was fun building your own kernels.
          Same here.
          It was my first Linux distro (93?) before switching to RedHat (and now Fedora) Linux.
          Kept using it from from time to time on low-spec machines and appliance up until 14.2 started getting stale.

That said, I welcome 15.0 and plan to start testing it again once its released.
          Last edited by gilboa; 25 August 2021, 11:39 AM.
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
          X