Debian 11 "Bullseye" Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George99 View Post

I don't see Gnome 40 as superior to Gnome 38 in fact I prefer 38 as long as not all of my favorite extensions are available for 40.
    I don't know what extensions you use, but ArcMenu, Dash to Panel, Desktop Icons NG (DING), and Just Perfection are available for GNOME 40. Unfortunately Dash to Dock is not available yet, but they're working on it.

Looking at the GNOME extension site there seems to be 335 extensions compatible with GNOME 40.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      I'm really tempted to make the switch from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to Debian 11 but I know there's gonna be no net gain and just a lot of wasted hours. But I'm still tempted.
      My path on Linux RedHat> Mandrake> Suse> Ubuntu> Mint> Mint LMDE> Debian + non-free. It is the best operating system I have ever used, I have tested many others as well. Debian is not plug and play for graphics drivers, it must be administered. He does not ask you every day for updates which contributes to my happiness. The Backports and Flatpak directories are available if you need newer software versions in some cases. It is a real pleasure for me to use it

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post

My path on Linux RedHat> Mandrake> Suse> Ubuntu> Mint> Mint LMDE> Debian + non-free. It is the best operating system I have ever used, I have tested many others as well. Debian is not plug and play for graphics drivers, it must be administered. He does not ask you every day for updates which contributes to my happiness. The Backports and Flatpak directories are available if you need newer software versions in some cases. It is a real pleasure for me to use it
        Awesome, thanks. I have a very similar path. Was actually using Debian when I built my computer in 2014, until I think 2017, then Ubuntu for the past few years.

I think I'm officially ready to come back.

Side note, but my first distro was back in 99 when I was too afraid to mess up the family computer and partition the drive to install Linux.

Then came this:

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
          ...Debian is pro and Ubuntu is kiddie.
          Ubuntu has made plenty of blunders in their history, especially on the desktop side, but their LTS server options are perfectly "pro" in their current state.
          As backwards as it may sound, I do a lot of work on ubuntu 20 LTS ec2 cloud instances from my debian 11 workstation. By choice on both counts.

Comment

I just now noticed that Debian supports the nVidia 304 driver (the last AGP cards) even in current unstable. That would be awesome if it works! Anyone successfully using it?

Comment

Debian 11 with firmware, for anyone interested:

Comment

Originally posted by mbello View Post
                There is nothing kiddie about Ubuntu.
                I use and like both distros, but for desktop I much prefer Ubuntu with snaps, ppas, hardware drivers, updated hwe kernels and the availability of newer releases every 6 months (on laptop I don't need LTS, but i usually do stay on LTS releases).
                For servers, if it is my own server Debian and Ubuntu are equally fine. If is it cloud or a container image I usually have more options with Ubuntu.

Last but not least, if you are feeling tempted to move to Debian now because it is fresh out, you will be back on Ubuntu's camp quite soon.
                Yeah, you're right. I'm going to stay put. I'll put Debian on some other device when that time comes, but you're right. Your post speaks from a place of wisdom and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
                  Debian 11 with firmware, for anyone interested:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/u...ding-firmware/
                  Real MVP

Comment

It may seem like a small detail, but one of my favorite things about Debian KDE is the start menu, which I've found only on Debian. I DuckDuckGo'ed it and found a reference to Debian maintainers voting to develop a start menu based on freedesktop.org's Desktop Menu Specification. Is that correct?
                    Last edited by Eumaios; 15 August 2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      GNOME 3.38?
                      No GNOME 40?

The new Debian 11 seems already outdated.
                      Outdated, and completely stable.

Comment

Working...
                      X