Debian 11 Is Releasing This Weekend With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deep View Post
    Those who continue to operate and support Debian are part of the larger problem.
    Just a thought but maybe..Debian should not be involved in this?
    Are anti-vaxxers running out of places to hide or why is this a problem for you?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Are anti-vaxxers running out of places to hide or why is this a problem for you?
      Or maybe being a free thinker is difficult for you?

Some things to consider:

What are the qualifications/credentials of those on Debian Med? Or are they just sweaty online randos?

What/Who is the target audience that Debian thinks this is the solution for?

Do those in the science/academic field not know the tools they want/need/should be using?
      "Lol. This app has a sciency name, let's use this from Debian Med for genetic analysis. "

Who approved this and how much funding was redirected for this? Or does the Debian money printer go brrrrrrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post

You seem to forget that there is the Backports directory to get recent kernels and everything like updated software as well as the ability to install software through Flatpak (for Telegram, Signal, etc).

My current Debian 10 works with kernel 5.10 (AMD 5950x) and with Nvidia 460.73.05 (Nvidia RTX 3080) from Backports ... Debian is quite capable of handling recent hardware !!

Concerning myself I seek stability, compatibility and security above all. Using software like open office in version 6.x and not 7.x does not pose a problem for me ...
        Exactly this. Debian Stable is GREAT for desktop because it is rock solid, compatible, and (say) secure, there is hardly ever any issues. And if you really need some fresh software you can usually pick it from Debian Backports. This is why Debian Stable is The Desktop and not some toy getting rolling updates you never actually need.

Comment

Those who continue to operate and support Debian are part of the larger problem.

Here's the part that's conveniently buried:

The Debian Med team has been taking part in the fight against COVID-19 by packaging software for researching the virus on the sequence level and for fighting the pandemic with the tools used in epidemiology; this work will continue with focus on machine learning tools for both fields. The team's work with Quality Assurance and Continuous integration is critical to the consistent reproducible results required in the sciences. Debian Med Blend has a range of performance critical applications which now benefit from SIMD Everywhere. To install packages maintained by the Debian Med team, install the metapackages named med-*, which are at version 3.6.x.

Just a thought but maybe..Debian should not be involved in this?
          It looks the project is well documented, if you have any problem with the devs involved you can ask directly to them:

I don't see any problem in Debian, but I see a lot of people that don't use Debian that have incomprehensible outbursts against this project and its community.

Comment

No, it is not difficult for me. Free means I make my own decisions, but it also means I leave others free to make theirs. I do not tell the Debian project what they can and cannot do. I do not declare them to be a larger problem. That is not free thinking but only intolerance. Free means that I choose the distro that I think is best for me and leave others to their own choices. I do not try to tell them what they should and should not choose. Only people who feel insecure about their own choice do this. So no, you are not a free thinker. You are intolerant.

Comment

Some things to consider:

What are the qualifications/credentials of those on Debian Med? Or are they just sweaty online randos?

What/Who is the target audience that Debian thinks this is the solution for?

Do those in the science/academic field not know the tools they want/need/should be using?
              "Lol. This app has a sciency name, let's use this from Debian Med for genetic analysis. "

Who approved this and how much funding was redirected for this? Or does the Debian money printer go brrrrrrrrrr.
              Protesting DebianMed initiative is probably the same as protesting bioconda or bioconductoR or any other similar repository for scientific research purposes. Any sane one would see those packages were chosen from the relevant scientific literature backed by peer reviewed articles and research conducting scientists. What DebianMed does is to package those relevant software available as open source and make it easy for uninitiated to install.

Being a scientist does not warrant being capable of maintaining your of set of software tools. Scientists know what they need. They mostly don't know how to make those tools usable for their needs. DebianMed, bioconda, biolinux, scientific linux bioconductoR all answer to this problem.

If you want to know more about this issue check biostars or seqanswers forums for lots of people asking how to get a source code to be compiled to run for their experiments. I am a senior bioinformatician and molecular biologist with PhD degree + 10 years of experience yet it took me 2 - 3 years to get used to all the open source stuff in time when I just started my grad work. Not many people has this set of experience or skill yet they still have very capable minds to perform research when proper tools are provided easily.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                Debian is among the most outdated/lazy Linux distributions in existence. For example:
                • Debian 10 (current): Xfce 4.12 (released 2015-02-28)
                • Debian 11 (to be released): Xfce 4.16
                You're either trolling or you've completely misunderstood what Debian is.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  No, it is not difficult for me. Free means I make my own decisions, but it also means I leave others free to make theirs. I do not tell the Debian project what they can and cannot do. I do not declare them to be a larger problem. That is not free thinking but only intolerance. Free means that I choose the distro that I think is best for me and leave others to their own choices. I do not try to tell them what they should and should not choose. Only people who feel insecure about their own choice do this. So no, you are not a free thinker. You are intolerant.
                  The irony is dripping wet in this post. This is not the "own" you think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post

Protesting DebianMed initiative is probably the same as protesting bioconda or bioconductoR or any other similar repository for scientific research purposes. Any sane one would see those packages were chosen from the relevant scientific literature backed by peer reviewed articles and research conducting scientists. What DebianMed does is to package those relevant software available as open source and make it easy for uninitiated to install.

Being a scientist does not warrant being capable of maintaining your of set of software tools. Scientists know what they need. They mostly don't know how to make those tools usable for their needs. DebianMed, bioconda, biolinux, scientific linux bioconductoR all answer to this problem.

If you want to know more about this issue check biostars or seqanswers forums for lots of people asking how to get a source code to be compiled to run for their experiments. I am a senior bioinformatician and molecular biologist with PhD degree + 10 years of experience yet it took me 2 - 3 years to get used to all the open source stuff in time when I just started my grad work. Not many people has this set of experience or skill yet they still have very capable minds to perform research when proper tools are provided easily.
                    Cool. Now, post your cv "SkyWarrior". Where are you published and when?

Comment

Cool. Now, post your cv "SkyWarrior". Where are you published and when?
                      No, SkyWarrior should absolutely not do anything like that. What you're doing is essentially a pathetic attempt at doxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X