elementary OS 6.0 Released For A Meticulously Crafted Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elementary OS 6.0 Released For A Meticulously Crafted Linux Desktop

Phoronix: elementary OS 6.0 Released For A Meticulously Crafted Linux Desktop

The Elementary OS Linux distribution known for its very polished and well crafted desktop experience is out with its big 6.0 "Odin" update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    elementary OS 6.0 "Oidn
    Elementary? The theme looks pretty good. I don't like the spacing in some of the title bars, but otherwise I am surprised this distro managed to exist for so many generations.
    Also, what happened to Vala?

Comment

The theme looks like Gnome about 5 or 10 years ago. Dated, generic, not new in any respect.

Why is it that so many of these themed distros just seem to be computer programmers having a go at design and fiddling with a few colors? Not yet seen one that actually had any decent graphic design influences that I could make out.

The only two games in town for Linux UX design are KDE Breeze and Gnome, purely because they have so many people working on them they are fairly decent. And for icons Papirus is pretty good.

Comment

"Elementary OS 6 was designed to offer more controls, allow users to more easily express themselves, and also make it easier to get and more inclusive were among the design points."

What does this even mean? It's boilerplate gibberish.

Comment

Wayland?

Comment

The desktop's photo has extensive blown highlights, i.e. parts of the image that are pure white. That's unfortunate. It's the kind of error a beginner to photography makes. Will many end users notice, much less care? I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post
              Wayland?
              Why do you think the developer would be concerned about Wayland? He cares about Average Joe and ease of use.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why do you think the developer would be concerned about Wayland? He cares about Average Joe and ease of use.
                I was just asking I don't follow ugly GTKesque desktops closely.

If they cared so much about the Average Joe shouldn't they just clone the most widely used desktop paradigm, Microsoft Windows? I'm pretty sure that's what the studies say. Familiarity and previous experiences being very important. You move a button and nana dies.

Anyway it would probably feel ten times snappier running with Wayfire or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
                  The theme looks like Gnome about 5 or 10 years ago. Dated, generic, not new in any respect.

Why is it that so many of these themed distros just seem to be computer programmers having a go at design and fiddling with a few colors? Not yet seen one that actually had any decent graphic design influences that I could make out.

The only two games in town for Linux UX design are KDE Breeze and Gnome, purely because they have so many people working on them they are fairly decent. And for icons Papirus is pretty good.
                  More like the other way around. Adwaita looks like a pale and outdated version of this.
                  Adwaita looks like a cheap OS X theme circa 2012. This is far more evolved.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 10 August 2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

If there ever was a child between Gnome and Budgie, this is definitely the looks that would pop out of that mix. Unsure which one would be the chicken or the egg though.

Apparently, there is some kind of overview that you can trigger with a 3-finger swipe up. But going up is stressing your hand more and harder to achieve than going down, so can you change it to 3-finger swipe down?

Finally, can you add back packages and snaps in their software center? I really don't give a damn about flatpaks, and being limited to them is a no-go for me.
                    Last edited by Mez'; 10 August 2021, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X