Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 21.0, Linux 5.11 Prepared For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Updates

Phoronix: Mesa 21.0, Linux 5.11 Prepared For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Updates

Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS is expected later this month as the next point release to the "Focal Fossa" long-term support cycle. With this update comes the hardware enablement stack from Ubuntu 21.04 which in turn means Linux 5.11 and Mesa 21.0 graphics support is available as package updates now...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

21.10 dailies have Gnome 40 now, so if you're interested in having a trouble-free & mature Gnome 40 / Wayland experience in 22.04 LTS, 21.10 will be the one to bug-hunt in.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
      21.10 dailies have Gnome 40 now, so if you're interested in having a trouble-free & mature Gnome 40 / Wayland experience in 22.04 LTS, 21.10 will be the one to bug-hunt in.
      ... if your computer can boot it. (couple of mine can't)

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

... if your computer can boot it. (couple of mine can't)
        Edit to add: The jump to kern 5.11 was a little weird on my desktop. For months I've been on 5.8.x like most using LTS. Then it installs 5.10 a couple days ago. Now it's 5.11. Presumably it'll stick to 5.11 till the next point release. I just don't remember LTS jumping minor version numbers that quickly before.

Comment

Really hope 21.10 is better, tried my PI 4 with 21.04 and wayland yesterday, after login the keyboard stopped working except for the super (windows) key. All applications (shell, Firefox, menus, libreoffice, nautilus etc...) and yet system password requests still accepted input and worked fine. Switched to X and everything is smooth and I can type again.

Comment

That's odd NathanG , I was running 21.04 on my Pi 4 with Wayland beautifully from the day it landed until last week when I switched to 21.10 dailies.

You might want to try updating the EEPROM from a Raspbian SD Card, try a different keyboard, or try switching to the other bank of USB ports.

Comment

Tried the keyboard and USB at the time but must admit not sure the last time the EEPROM was updated, I'll give it a try!

Comment

21.10 dailies have Gnome 40 now, so if you're interested in having a trouble-free & mature Gnome 40 / Wayland experience in 22.04 LTS
                "then you're out of your damn mind", is, I suspect, how that sentence should actually end.

I'm running 21.04 on a Pi too, but with X - it was updated from 20.04 and has never even offered me Wayland. NathanG did you install from 20.10 and have it offered then, or did you add it yourself later?

Comment

Fresh install however found the cause and fix of the issue. Bug with logitech keyboards in wayland (I tried two different Logitech ones.). Hopefully resolved in 21.10.
                  ​​​​​https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=310293

Are you running the PI4 as I thought it offered it automatically, it was only on incompatible hardware it blocked it?

Does GDM just show Ubuntu with X as an option?
                  Last edited by NathanG; 11 August 2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

5.11 has been available via linux-generic-hwe-20.04-edge for quite a while now.

Comment

Working...
                    X