Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linspire-Based Freespire Announces "Entirely New Direction" With Cloud Apps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linspire-Based Freespire Announces "Entirely New Direction" With Cloud Apps...

Phoronix: Linspire-Based Freespire Announces "Entirely New Direction" With Cloud Apps...

What started off as Lindows twenty years ago as an easy-to-use Linux-based operating system with great Wine integration and easy application support but then changed to Linspire following a Microsoft lawsuit has had quite a journey. PC/OpenSystems LLC revived Linspire after a multi-year gap following the closure of Xandros and since then it's been a rather peculiar platform. Today they are now shifting focus once again...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...e-7.7-Released

It hasn't even been a year since I made fun of this distribution on the forums here.
    I feel like they've already gotten enough attention for a while.

Comment

Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, what is this crap. Change name, add duckduckgo and call themselves new Linux distribution. Lol
      Last edited by piorunz; 30 July 2021, 10:39 PM.

Comment

I can't believe it's still a thing. Who even uses it?!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          I can't believe it's still a thing. Who even uses it?!
          No one, that's why they keep rebranding.

Comment

I don't think any company has made money selling Linux desktop distribution. Canonical tried for a very long time and finally scaled back their desktop efforts. There maybe a niche market for hardware vendors such as System76 for selling Linux PC's. I have never bought a Linux PC because it is just cheaper to install Ubuntu on a Windows PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
              I don't think any company has made money selling Linux desktop distribution. Canonical tried for a very long time and finally scaled back their desktop efforts. There maybe a niche market for hardware vendors such as System76 for selling Linux PC's. I have never bought a Linux PC because it is just cheaper to install Ubuntu on a Windows PC.
              i think system76 got it right with selling their own built linux based computers. it is nice to have a prebuilt manufacturer that builds their machines around linux from the start. you know the hardware will work.

Comment

I don't use facebook , but I wonder for how long it takes before that Start button... or should I say Fart button run into legal issues with facebook for the use of letter 'f'.
                One more thing - the 2006 design looks far more structured than the 'modern' crap - see what the world has become!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

No one, that's why they keep rebranding.
                  I might say, that's their problem, but if this causes major financial losses, they should just put Freespire away and work on something better.

Also... Chrome and DuckDuckGo? That's a big NoNoGo as it seems contradictory in terms of privacy.
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 31 July 2021, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
                    They don't sell Linux distributions. They mostly sell support/warranty/quality assurance.

Comment

Working...
                    X