Gentoo Spins Up More Stage Downloads For Musl libc, Systemd Init

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

I know you are trolling but as a matter of fact many ArchLinux users are ex Gentoo users.

Gentoo is awesome BUT it can get difficult to manage on a everyday environment since compilations can take a long time and depending how aggressive you are with your optimizations you can tank your CPU performance for doing actual work in the meantime.

On the other hand ArchLinux provide the best of both worlds pacman for fast updates and makepkg/AUR/ABS for when you wanna get your hands dirty, so is a natural progression for many Gentoo users.

Also many ArchLinux users still use Gentoo, just not as a main driver since Gentoo is awesome to test new ideas and software combinations from the ground up.

ArchLinux and Gentoo user here btw
    Best post in the thread. Thanks for sharing

Comment

With the introduction of systemd. Almost all Linux distros are pretty identical these days. I think it is quite nostalgic to hear a good old "distro war" on these forums

Next up is Vi vs Emacs and C vs C++.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        With the introduction of systemd. Almost all Linux distros are pretty identical these days. I think it is quite nostalgic to hear a good old "distro war" on these forums

but only after prime time - until the issue X11 vs Wayland is solved

Comment

The Arch Wiki is so well done and so well maintained that became almost a disgrace!

Now the majority of the dIstros in their wikis just write to look into the Arch Wiki for better explanations...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
            The Arch Wiki is so well done and so well maintained that became almost a disgrace!

Now the majority of the dIstros in their wikis just write to look into the Arch Wiki for better explanations...
            🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

but only after prime time - until the issue X11 vs Wayland is solved
              Gosh I remember Xorg vs Xsun in the Solaris days.

At least Wayland is relatively new vs some of these ancient arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

VS Code and Rust !11!!1!1!!

Comment

I know you are trolling but as a matter of fact many ArchLinux users are ex Gentoo users.
                  This is exactly my use case. Started with Gentoo in winter 2005 and was happy and successful with it through spring 2012. No config or maintenance problems, did what I needed and did it well. I had left Debian after getting tired of juggling a couple dozen (or more?...) unstable packages in order to get up-to-date programs (e.g. Inkscape, which is what I think pushed me to the edge).

By 2012 I was ready for something that didn't require rebuilding every upgraded package, yet still offered (non-compilation option) configurability with a relatively simple, clean footprint, and also supported non-official, user supplied pkgs. Obviously, that was Arch. Looking back, I'm not sure why I went with Gentoo in the beginning, except that when I searched for other distros I didn't learn about Arch. Apparently, Arch was started before Gentoo -- if memory serves. Also, I had experience with the *BSDs.

Now I am *far* more proficient at Arch than I ever was at Gentoo, probably because PKGBUILDs seem easier to me than ebuilds? Anyway, I am happy and will stick with Arch unless it were to cease to exist

Comment

Gentoo is awesome BUT it can get difficult to manage on a everyday environment since compilations can take a long time and depending how aggressive you are with your optimizations you can tank your CPU performance for doing actual work in the meantime.

On the other hand ArchLinux provide the best of both worlds pacman for fast updates and makepkg/AUR/ABS for when you wanna get your hands dirty, so is a natural progression for many Gentoo users.

Also many ArchLinux users still use Gentoo, just not as a main driver since Gentoo is awesome to test new ideas and software combinations from the ground up.

ArchLinux and Gentoo user here btw
                    The other way around actually: I would never go back to Arch.

Comment

The first distro that I tried was Gentoo 1.4 . I was at the end of primary school. I had to compile my nvidia kernel modules manually and fix dependency issues. It wasn't easy but I learned a lot in a short period of time. My biggest challenge was my unstable & expensive internet connection (dial-up). I had no help besides an intermittent IRC connection. These days I rely much more on Arch wiki pages. I have much respect to both Gentoo and Arch communities.

Comment

Working...
                      X