Gentoo Spins Up More Stage Downloads For Musl libc, Systemd Init

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    I only respect Gentoo users, not the arch crowd. I've seen a huge trend within the arch crowd and it's not a coincidence. Same with the KDE lot. The black sheep of the Linux community.

They read a wiki that some other smart people hand-crafted for them and now they think they know Linux like the back of their hand like Linus or GKH. Nope, sorry. Takes many, many years.

If you use arch and want to defend yourself, go ahead. But I know I'm right. And I use Ubuntu LTS, should tell you everything you need to know.
    Y'know, one of the worst stereotypes of Linux users is this abhorrent superiority complex you exemplify. I'm an Arch user and I couldn't care less about whether some judgmental asshole respects me. I use Arch because it's a nice in-between of cleanliness and ease-of-use. Most people who have used Linux extensively for several years could take up Gentoo if they really wanted to, but most don't because the ROI just doesn't make sense with modern hardware for desktop use. There are niche use-cases for using Gentoo and if that's someone's favorite distro, then great - no harm done. But this juvenile and petty "I only respect Gentoo users" mentality accomplishes nothing and just needlessly alienates you.

EDIT:
    This reminds me of everyone who gets all high-and-mighty because they drive a manual transmission vehicle. The average idiot with basic motor skills can drive a manual. It doesn't make you more of a man. It doesn't make you a better driver. It says nothing about your intellect. Driving a manual isn't even that much more fun.
    It baffles me how people are so insecure about themselves that they judge others over insignificant personal preferences.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 20 July 2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Y'know, one of the worst stereotypes of Linux users is this abhorrent superiority complex you exemplify. I'm an Arch user and I couldn't care less about whether some judgmental asshole respects me. I use Arch because it's a nice in-between of cleanliness and ease-of-use. Most people who have used Linux extensively for several years could take up Gentoo if they really wanted to, but most don't because the ROI just doesn't make sense with modern hardware for desktop use. There are niche use-cases for using Gentoo and if that's someone's favorite distro, then great - no harm done. But this juvenile and petty "I only respect Gentoo users" mentality accomplishes nothing and just needlessly alienates you.
      That's great, and I'm really sorry you feel that way about me. I thought posting here for 4 years being the nicest, helpful m*****f***** would earn me some credit, but apparently not.

So with all due respect, I reject your abhorrent response to what I've been throwing out. Keep using arch, I think that's great. Don't look down on others. I'll use Ubuntu, because I need to get stuff done, and I can still compile my own kernel and favorite apps and everything else. Take care.

By the way, I am not looking to make friends on here, but I always try to put out good energy. Sometimes (like Linus Torvalds shows) you have to react to a certain situation. I have no problem looking like a fool. I don't know any of you. Cheers.

Comment

By the way, I am not looking to make friends on here, but I always try to put out good energy. Sometimes (like Linus Torvalds shows) you have to react to a certain situation. I have no problem looking like a fool. I don't know any of you. Cheers.
        That's a load of BS and you know it. The first sentence you posted in this thread implied you don't respect a specific group of people, then calling that group sheep. That's like saying "I'm not racist but <race> really annoys me". You even acknowledged that Arch users will want to defend themselves. So, you already knew that what you said wasn't putting out "good energy".
        If you only said "I have the highest respect for Gentoo users" then that would be putting out good energy, because you're not judging others.
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 20 July 2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          That's a load of BS and you know it. The first sentence you posted in this thread implied you don't respect a specific group of people, then calling that group sheep. That's like saying "I'm not racist but <race> really annoys me". You even acknowledged that Arch users will want to defend themselves. So, you already knew that what you said wasn't putting out "good energy".
          If you said "I have the highest respect for Gentoo users" then that would be putting out good energy, because you're not judging others.
          You do realize I was being half-hearted in my post because I use freaking Ubuntu right? The most casual, biggest pleb on Earth, right? My actions don't align with what you're accusing me of

I'm not Johnny bunchanumbers from Twitter, sheesh.

Anyways, I'm done hijacking the thread. I was actually annoyed that Michael deleted my comments in another thread and I lashed out here. I paid $100 bucks for Phoronix premium lifetime and while I'm not paying for his bills, I really, really, really didn't appreciate it. I'm against that kind of censorship. But what I said in this thread had to be said regardless and I _certainly_ am not afraid to say it to you or anyone else, in your faces or on the forums. Cheers.

Comment

Gentoo systemd spins - when you want a big, greasy side dish of bloat to go with your minimalism. It's like the "strict vegan" who binges on weekends and eats fried chicken and pepperoni pizza. We all know that guy.

Comment

That's great, and I'm really sorry you feel that way about me. I thought posting here for 4 years being the nicest, helpful m*****f***** would earn me some credit, but apparently not.

By the way, I am not looking to make friends on here [...]. I don't know any of you. Cheers.
              I wonder why would anybody think someone would give credit to someone showing a behavour like this?

If you are upset, take a walk and keep distance to others that might take your output the wrong way until your head clears and you are in control again.

That's what I'd do but I'm just human with emotions and all.

Comment

I only respect Gentoo users, not the arch crowd. I've seen a huge trend within the arch crowd and it's not a coincidence. Same with the KDE lot. The black sheep of the Linux community.

They read a wiki that some other smart people hand-crafted for them and now they think they know Linux like the back of their hand like Linus or GKH. Nope, sorry. Takes many, many years.

If you use arch and want to defend yourself, go ahead. But I know I'm right. And I use Ubuntu LTS, should tell you everything you need to know.
                Why? Just why? Why even post this? *facepalm*

Comment

I know you are trolling but as a matter of fact many ArchLinux users are ex Gentoo users.

Gentoo is awesome BUT it can get difficult to manage on a everyday environment since compilations can take a long time and depending how aggressive you are with your optimizations you can tank your CPU performance for doing actual work in the meantime.

On the other hand ArchLinux provide the best of both worlds pacman for fast updates and makepkg/AUR/ABS for when you wanna get your hands dirty, so is a natural progression for many Gentoo users.

Also many ArchLinux users still use Gentoo, just not as a main driver since Gentoo is awesome to test new ideas and software combinations from the ground up.

ArchLinux and Gentoo user here btw

Comment

Hmm. Here I was hoping there was gonna be a hardened systemd profile. Not that I'd use it, just seems like an odd omission.

Instead of discussing that further I'm going to christen this thread fucked and go back to work.

Comment

I wonder if there are any plans to introduce ~arch stage3's. I also hope they make systemd the default and have openrc as the alternative

Just downloaded their musl image and was surprised there wasn't clang or libc++ on there - surely it can't be that long before GNU/Linux becomes LLVM/Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X