Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Spins Up More Stage Downloads For Musl libc, Systemd Init

Phoronix: Gentoo Spins Up More Stage Downloads For Musl libc, Systemd Init

The Gentoo project has announced the availability of a greater selection of stage files for download in kicking off the Gentoo Linux installation process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I only respect Gentoo users, not the arch crowd. I've seen a huge trend within the arch crowd and it's not a coincidence. Same with the KDE lot. The black sheep of the Linux community.

They read a wiki that some other smart people hand-crafted for them and now they think they know Linux like the back of their hand like Linus or GKH. Nope, sorry. Takes many, many years.

If you use arch and want to defend yourself, go ahead. But I know I'm right. And I use Ubuntu LTS, should tell you everything you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      But I know I'm right. And I use Ubuntu LTS, should tell you everything you need to know.
      Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
        Indeed.
        I put that last sentence in their purposely to give you guys something to hang your head on. You took the bait. Cheers

edit: Actually, wait. I'm not done. Do you compile your own kernel? If not, I do. So I know more than you. Q.E.D. arch nerd.

edit2: What's also not lost is the irony of you looking down on me (the ubuntu user) from you (the arch user) on a Gentoo thread. You know they look down upon you, right? Pretty silly, right? Btw I don't use arch
        Last edited by perpetually high; 20 July 2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

Agree totally, Big respect from me goes to the Arch wiki maintainers , A great source of info on there.

More stage choice is always welcome and will help out people trying Gentoo for the first time. Though you can't beat your own stage4
          Totally agree with you. I don't think I will use Gentoo as a daily driver, but I will spin it up in a VM and give it a whirl. The stage concept looks interesting.

What's also interesting, if the arch crowd is so high and mighty and knowledgable, wouldn't it lend itself to graduate to the highest level, to Gentoo?

But they don't. Why? Because they're afraid. Timid. Scared to take chances. The arch wiki might not hold their hand anymore. That part wasn't in the manual. And thus, they rely on the AUR to do all the hand-holding for them. It's okay, I'm not making fun of you, keep doing you, like I said I use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, but also know your role and shut your mouth.

Comment

I only respect Gentoo users, not the arch crowd. I've seen a huge trend within the arch crowd and it's not a coincidence. Same with the KDE lot. The black sheep of the Linux community.

They read a wiki that some other smart people hand-crafted for them and now they think they know Linux like the back of their hand like Linus or GKH. Nope, sorry. Takes many, many years.

If you use arch and want to defend yourself, go ahead. But I know I'm right. And I use Ubuntu LTS, should tell you everything you need to know.

Maybe you will like www.anonvdi.ca . They run Gentoo VM on a Gentoo baremetal host, but in the vm they run Ubuntu and Fedora docker containers. On the Gentoo side, it's all openrc and yes, they compile the kernel. But when you launch for example Ubuntu Media image, you'll feel right at home with pretty xfce gui and all. Lots of arch wikis we're read to make this solution a reality

Comment

Originally posted by scratchi View Post

Maybe you will like www.anonvdi.ca . They run Gentoo VM on a Gentoo baremetal host, but in the vm they run Ubuntu and Fedora docker containers. On the Gentoo side, it's all openrc and yes, they compile the kernel. But when you launch for example Ubuntu Media image, you'll feel right at home with pretty xfce gui and all. Lots of arch wikis we're read to make this solution a reality
              Thanks a lot, that looks really interesting. Will check it out

Comment

Gentoo is thriving in these... fringe configurations.
                It makes it easy to roll your own thing.

Also, gentoo & arch wiki's are really helpful if you need to get hardware working better.

Comment

I only respect people using Windows, people using Linux think they know more about computers just because they use an operating system that ordinary people don't use or because it is free software. Just because some people build Linux from scratch doesn't mean that everyone using Linux is good at computers.

(Yes, that was sarcasm)

It often surprises me how people assume so much just because of such small things. In my opinion that's no different from assuming that someone is a criminal just because of the person's skin colour.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

I only respect people using Windows, people using Linux think they know more about computers just because they use an operating system that ordinary people don't use or because it is free software. Just because some people build Linux from scratch doesn't mean that everyone using Linux is good at computers.

(Yes, that was sarcasm)

It often surprises me how people assume so much just because of such small things. In my opinion that's no different from assuming that someone is a criminal just because of the person's skin colour.
                    Hey I was just busting your chops because you seemed to be more serious in your original post, though seemingly unassuming at first glance. (Yeah I'm a little crazy).

But I'll disagree on your first point. Building Linux from scratch gives you tremendous appreciation for the low-level, high-level, all of it. But yes, you're not necessarily a computer wiz because you build the Linux kernel that other smart people have done all the hard work for you. Literally, all we have to do is figure out a few commands, throw them in a bash script, apply our favorite patches, and do that every time GKH or Linus release a new kernel. I find it all very exciting, others may not. I'm an extreme case, but also a filthy casual. I'm one of one.

But yes, I agree overall with your post. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X