Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

systemctl enable ignition
    systemctl start ignition
    systemctl stop governeor
    systemctl disable governor
    systemctl set-default radio-preset bt-moto-g-power
    systemctl start radio
    systemctl start voice-commands

Hey System Play "Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" followed by "The Wizard"

and now I can go to the grocery store
    you have forgotten systemctl status airbags breaks etc...safety first

...its going to be funny once you have to use systemctl start flashing-left
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 20 July 2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Hey System Play "Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" followed by "The Wizard"
      the good thing is that I would write an ansible playbook to automate this one at every boot on all my cars as soon as they exit the car dealer!

also:

dnf install -y black-sabbath-discography

Comment

Linux is already fractured in the automotive world. AGL is an attempt to get OEM's to agree on a single stack to improve response times on issues and vulnerabilities.

Toyota, Mazda, and several OEM's use Linux or microLinux kernels to run various components of their cars operation.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          Linux is already fractured in the automotive world. AGL is an attempt to get OEM's to agree on a single stack to improve response times on issues and vulnerabilities.

Toyota, Mazda, and several OEM's use Linux or microLinux kernels to run various components of their cars operation.
          What several other OEM's are we talking about? 'Cause most of the OEM's currently use QNX and other BB software: https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2017...blackberry-qnx

“You might ask if this will have a negative effect on BlackBerry QNX, the market leader in automotive infotainment, used in more than 60 million cars by over 40 brands around the world.“
          […]
          Meanwhile, we are a leading infotainment supplier for more than 40 other carmakers and Tier 1 auto suppliers, including Honda, Subaru, General Motors, Fiat-Chrysler, BMW, and, of course, Ford Motors, with more than half of the auto infotainment market, according to market researchers, IHS Automotive.
          […]
          Our Acoustics software, for instance, has been used in more than 50 million cars from more than 20 automakers.”

Comment

This one doesn't make sense to me. If your Big Moto Co and your looking at a RH based distro aren't you just going to go with RH for the support?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
              This one doesn't make sense to me. If your Big Moto Co and your looking at a RH based distro aren't you just going to go with RH for the support?
              CentOS SIG is for developers of the platform. Not for customers who want a support subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What several other OEM's are we talking about? 'Cause most of the OEM's currently use QNX and other BB software: https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2017...blackberry-qnx

“You might ask if this will have a negative effect on BlackBerry QNX, the market leader in automotive infotainment, used in more than 60 million cars by over 40 brands around the world.“
                […]
                Meanwhile, we are a leading infotainment supplier for more than 40 other carmakers and Tier 1 auto suppliers, including Honda, Subaru, General Motors, Fiat-Chrysler, BMW, and, of course, Ford Motors, with more than half of the auto infotainment market, according to market researchers, IHS Automotive.
                […]
                Our Acoustics software, for instance, has been used in more than 50 million cars from more than 20 automakers.”
                I think people are conflating the Infotainment system with the PCM and peripheral modules under the hood. There's a big (or should be) a big difference between them. 50 million units sounds like a lot, but it doesn't say if that's in a year or of it's over a span of years, which wouldn't make it necessarily all that impressive. There's a huge range of platforms used in vehicles from hard RTOS systems for control systems to Android/iOS used in the car infotainment displays. People forget all of those Android systems are just as much "Linux" as CentOS and Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

I think people are conflating the Infotainment system with the PCM and peripheral modules under the hood. There's a big (or should be) a big difference between them. 50 million units sounds like a lot, but it doesn't say if that's in a year or of it's over a span of years, which wouldn't make it necessarily all that impressive. There's a huge range of platforms used in vehicles from hard RTOS systems for control systems to Android/iOS used in the car infotainment displays. People forget all of those Android systems are just as much "Linux" as CentOS and Ubuntu.
                  There's not a single PCM based on QNX as far as I know. Most modern engine controllers have a TriCore or SPC5xxx MPC, 2-4MB of flash (8MB is becoming more common) and run a lightweight purpose built RTOS like ERCOSEK that is written in pure MISRA C, compiled with a proprietary toolchain like TASKING and designed to the AUTOSAR spec.

Something like QNX would be total overkill for a controller that uses only static RAM allocation, has no need for a filesystem or a TCP/IP stack, needs to boot in under 100ms, where peripherals are interfaced with directly without drivers, and most tasks are relatively simple autogenerated C from Simulink models following the "Read input->Prefilter->Refer to lookup table->Set output" paradigm (eg: "from RPM+pedal position and calculate driver's wish, "from RPM+airflow and calculate load", "from RPM+load calculate injection quantity", "from RPM+load calculate boost pressure" etc.)

It does seem however that BlackBerry is trying to jump into the autonomous vehicle game with QNX and they have joined AUTOSAR but I doubt that they will find success in the specialized and already firmly established PCM market. Probably more on the "smart/connected" vehicle (yuck) side but time will tell.
                  Last edited by hipower; 21 July 2021, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
                    This is just unneeded fragmentation in the market. There is already Automotive Grade Linux which is a Linux Foundation project with loads of industry backing from actual manufacturers.
                    There's also the problem of longevity. RHEL is supported for 10 years while people will ABSOLUTELY drive cars longer than that, especially on the 2nd hand market. Add a cellular radio into the mix and you have a ticking time bomb. The linux kernel meanwhile is actually doing work towards 20 year+ support for linux on civil infrastructure. That would be a perfect thing to roll out to cars as well.

I also find it awfully suspect that they're pushing centos for cars and not RHEL (how's that for a site licence?), considering centos is supposed to be the "unstable testing upstream." Which is it RedHat? Testing branch or actual long-term-supported product?

Comment

Working...
                    X