Devuan 4.0 Alpha Builds Updated For Debian 11 Stripped Of systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Thats what I like about the Linux ecosystem. It is very democratic - I also don't think systemd is bad to be honest it is quite good. However I like that people with the same idea get together and change it the way they like it. So kudos to the dev team may the project live long and prosper
    It's far from democratic, it's quite anarchist IMO, you can have absolutely no one ruling over your code, if you want something different there is no voting, no system, you can just fork it. Everything works in groups of people with similar ideals, and if some folks disagree they can create a different proyect, just like Devuan did.

Comment

I put up a how-to for using Devuan stable with Devuan unstable packages using Bedrock Linux to handle the extra package management chores: http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=4402

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
        It's good that some people are still fighting the good fight against SystemdOS
        They are exercising their Free Software rights, nothing more nor less. When someone starts talking about a "fight" is the exact moment they become a laughing stock. For my part I'm using a patched Nautilus so I guess I'm leading a "fight" against the GNOME Devs...

Comment

Originally posted by ezekrb5 View Post
          It's far from democratic, it's quite anarchist IMO, you can have absolutely no one ruling over your code, if you want something different there is no voting, no system, you can just fork it. Everything works in groups of people with similar ideals, and if some folks disagree they can create a different proyect, just like Devuan did.
          Very true, ideas win - not people. ...Well in all honesty that is not always true, but right and wrong is not democracy , it does not matter if hundreds of people believe in something if it turns out to be wrong. Eventually the right way forward triumphs (most of the time at least).

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Very true, ideas win - not people. ...Well in all honesty that is not always true, but right and wrong is not democracy , it does not matter if hundreds of people believe in something if it turns out to be wrong. Eventually the right way forward triumphs (most of the time at least).
            Ummm... You realise we are ONLY talking about software? "Right" and "Wrong", seriously...!!!

Comment

Same here, could not have said it better myself.
              The way I see it , what makes systemd popular is exactly the thing that makes in so hated as well - Linux only. Surely you can not have the benefits without stepping on some toes, what would make Devuan interesting for me is if they got it working with the FreeBSD and/or Minix3 kernel.
              Frankly I've always found that argument baffling. FreeBSD's init and userland are FreeBSD only. Same for OpenBSD. Launched is MacOS only. Svchost.exe is Windows only. Yet somehow the Linux (and only Linux) community is supposed to steer clear of taking advantage of its own platform's capabilities and instead always develop to the lowest common denominator, to give a free ride to the FreeBSD folks (who simultaneously never stop claiming how much they hate it). Utterly bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Ummm... You realise we are ONLY talking about software? "Right" and "Wrong", seriously...!!!
                Will it applies to science as well. If you where the only person believing that the earth was shaped like a sphere, you would be the only person on earth that was right now matter what everybody else told you. Very scary when you think about it.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Will it applies to science as well. If you where the only person believing that the earth was shaped like a sphere, you would be the only person on earth that was right now matter what everybody else told you. Very scary when you think about it.
                  That's a strawman argument. We are talking about using various pieces software, not about objective facts that can be empirically proved or disproved (i.e. right or wrong), like whether the Earth is flat or spherical. Devuan is neither inherently "right" nor "wrong", they just use software that suits them for the purpose that suits them (as opposed to what suits other people who chose differently). The only moment when it made sense to talk about "wrong" in relation to Devuan was when they were sending out death threats to Poettering or ran a fundraiser to hire an assassin (ex-post rebranded as a "joke"), and that had nothing to do with software and everything to do with morals and accepted behaviour in a civilised society.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

The only moment when it made sense to talk about "wrong" in relation to Devuan was when they were sending out death threats to Poettering or ran a fundraiser to hire an assassin (ex-post rebranded as a "joke"), and that had nothing to do with software and everything to do with morals and accepted behaviour in a civilised society.
                    Can you please provide source for these statements?
                    I've heard similar rumours but never in the context that it was the Devuan-people who did it.

Comment

Originally posted by oztmorf View Post
                      Can you please provide source for these statements?
                      I've heard similar rumours but never in the context that it was the Devuan-people who did it.
                      Agree with your comment..
                      Every time someone makes a dirty move like that, it should have being asked for proof..
                      There are people that do invent situations and point the fingers later to guys that they don't like( to the Devuan Community in this case )..
                      Jacob seems to be one of those idiots..

Devuan as far as I know always stood for Software Freedom Rights , and its Community is full of amazing people, very healthy, and nothing like what Jacob is mentioning..
                      I agree is very bad to invent things, and point to fingers to some innocent guys, just to target them as "bad people"( which is the intention of Jacob in his post.. ).

jacob
                      If you doesn't like something...hey its a Democracy, you can say it, you just don't need to invent horror movies and start stalking your victims with it..
                      just Grow UP, and make of yourself a man, maybe a good advise for you?!

Comment

Working...
                      X