Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devuan 4.0 Alpha Builds Updated For Debian 11 Stripped Of systemd

Phoronix: Devuan 4.0 Alpha Builds Updated For Debian 11 Stripped Of systemd

Back in April Devuan 4.0 alpha builds began for this Debian fork/downstream that aims for init system freedom by allowing Debian GNU/Linux to work without a dependence on systemd. Devuan 4.0 is tracking upstream Debian 11 quite closely with its changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

never going to use Devuan (I actually kinda like systemd) but they've done an impressive work with the limited resources they have! kudos to them

Comment

I've been using testing/chimaera for around 6 months and it's pretty much what you would expect from a Debian testing. Good job.

Comment

It's good that some people are still fighting the good fight against SystemdOS

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
          For those, like yourself, running Devuan, systemd is not the init system you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
            .... kudos to them ....
            Agreed. Volunteering to be the next Sisyphus is something I would not choose to do, but they certainly have done well.

Comment

never going to use Devuan (I actually kinda like systemd) but they've done an impressive work with the limited resources they have! kudos to them
              Thats what I like about the Linux ecosystem. It is very democratic - I also don't think systemd is bad to be honest it is quite good. However I like that people with the same idea get together and change it the way they like it. So kudos to the dev team may the project live long and prosper

Comment

Same here, could not have said it better myself.
                The way I see it , what makes systemd popular is exactly the thing that makes in so hated as well - Linux only. Surely you can not have the benefits without stepping on some toes, what would make Devuan interesting for me is if they got it working with the FreeBSD and/or Minix3 kernel.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
                  Would you be interested in a anti-chupacabra rock?

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                    what would make Devuan interesting for me is if they got it working with the FreeBSD and/or Minix3 kernel.
                    You mean like what Debian GNU/kFreeBSD was? Last I knew, kFreeBSD is still unofficially maintained, although is no longer part of the official distribution. It might be a starting place for your efforts.

Comment

Working...
                    X