No announcement yet.

Debian 11.0 "Bullseye" Is Very Close To Release - Now Under A Full Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does its installer support btrfs on root?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
      Dunno but their btrfs status page says:

The DebianInstaller can format and install to single-disk Btrfs volumes, but does not yet support multi-disk btrfs volumes nor subvolume creation (Bug #686097). Daniel Pocock has a good article on how to Install Debian wheezy and jessie directly with btrfs RAID1; however, strictly speaking it showcases Btrfs' integrated multi-device flexibility. eg: Install to a single disk, add a second disk to the volume, rebalance while converting all data and metadata to raid1 profile.

So long as advanced features such as zstd compression are not enabled, raid1-profile Btrfs volumes created on msdos or gpt partitions are bootable using grub-pc or grub-efi without a dedicated /boot, and it should also be possible to boot from a volume created on a raw disk using grub-pc. If booting with EFI firmware, consult UEFI for additional requirements. When booting using EFI, with rootfs on btrfs, the creation of an EFI system partition is essential.

While support for swap files was added to linux-5.0, it is highly recommended to use a dedicated swap partition. Furthermore, enabling swap using a virtual block (loop) device is dangerous, because this "will only cause memory allocation lock-ups" (Martin Raiber, linux-btrfs).

DebianBuster has good btrfs support out-of-the-box. DebianJessie users are urged to upgrade to a newer Debian release.
      It's probably best to try it out in a VM. Maybe even with Debian 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

right i already used the unofficial non free versions with the firmware for the vega64...

the graphical installer produced an error that he can not write some essencial MBR/UEFI stuff.
        File a bug.... you would be surprised how fast (or slow) it gets fixed

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
          It does. To my knowledge it does not yet support installing on a btrfs subvolume which is the only "issue". Thanks to BTRFS feature set you can expand to a mirrored, striped or whatever setup soon after the install. I always install a minimal system first, then expand to the number of disks I need , then I install aptitude and from there I install the rest... usually works like a charm

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Debian on desktop doesn't matter anyway. It's sever OS, isn't it? Don't get me wrong,I love Debian, I use it everyday, I made it to get food because I know Debian. It just doesn't fit desktop PC too well to be hones, so why would we bother about GNOME version in Debian? It will be old whenever you look at it.
            I use Debian as a desktop, but I also dual-boot Arch to play with the new toys. As Gnome 40 is kind of a 'meh' release, I'm okay with staying on 3.38

Comment

Working...
            X