Debian 11.0 "Bullseye" Is Very Close To Release - Now Under A Full Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
    Bummer that it seems like GNOME 40 didn't make it in on time, I hope they can shimmy it through the freezer door. Ubuntu 21.10 betas landed it just two days ago.
    Gnome 40 may be too aggressive for a slow-paced distro like Debian. Lots of UX changes there.

Comment

Anvil

all Gnome 40 is is a continuation of 3 , instead of calling it 3.40.x , they just called it 40...
      I would not say that. Have you actually used Gnome 40? They completely overhauled the "Activities" view or whatever it is called, including how virtual desktops are presented and also using new gestures for TouchPad for navigating all of this. The release also coincides with the release of gtk4 which is a major release. So no, I would not say that Gnome 40 is just a minor Gnome 3 release.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
        Anvil

I would not say that. Have you actually used Gnome 40? They completely overhauled the "Activities" view or whatever it is called, including how virtual desktops are presented and also using new gestures for TouchPad for navigating all of this. The release also coincides with the release of gtk4 which is a major release. So no, I would not say that Gnome 40 is just a minor Gnome 3 release.
        No i haven't but i dont need to use it . if it was really a " New Shell " they would of called it Gnome-Shell-4.0.0.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
          Gnome 40 may be too aggressive for a slow-paced distro like Debian. Lots of UX changes there.
          And lot of incompatibilities with extensions... I maintain two, and I'm struggling to port one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

No i haven't but i dont need to use it . if it was really a " New Shell " they would of called it Gnome-Shell-4.0.0.
            Well... That's exactly what they did! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

right... with my old hardware amd FX8320+RX470 this was not a problem at all.

but it looks like debian has some problem with hardware that is to new... i have a laptop i had a new problem to install debian and my new threadripper+vega64 is also to new to be easy...
              What exactly is the problem? Maybe you can use the older kernel. Userspace shouldn't care about the CPU.

Comment

I have used Debian as my main and sole OS since 2007. I started in 1997 with RedHat and successively switched from RedHat to Mandrake, Peanut and finally Gentoo. I use KDE only.

I bought a new SSD in 2016, installed Debian unstable and have used aptitude update and aptitude safe upgrade a few times every month since then without any hiccups.

I think Debian is the best since penicillin.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

So you're hung up on numbering schemes, right?
                  Instead of calling it Gnome 4.0 they changed the numbering scheme to be similar to Chrome and Firefox. Would you have considered it to be a major release if they just added a "." between the 4 and the 0? 😊
                  Or what's your definition of a "new shell"?
                  Last edited by tomas; 18 July 2021, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
                    Anvil

They completely overhauled the "Activities" view
                    I really don't get all the fuss about gnome 40. The workspaces moved from the right to the top, and the taskbar moved from the left to the bottom. Big deal. And oh, you can organize your apps in a place you can name yourself. Like all Office apps in a office icon/whatever. So basically gnome removed the application menu that sorted programs by catagory, and now instead of having a menu in the first place you are left to make your own. They really care about the user!

Comment

Operius73

The thing is, there is no need to manually go through an "application menu" to find what you're looking for. You just start typing either the name of the application you know exists or type a keyword associated with the type of application you're looking for. And automagically it just appears among the search results while you're typing. I know that Gnome receives a lot of hate for some unknown reason and sure, it's far from perfect, but this particular feature I find superior to other more traditional desktops.

Comment

Working...
                      X