Debian 11.0 "Bullseye" Is Very Close To Release - Now Under A Full Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 11.0 "Bullseye" Is Very Close To Release - Now Under A Full Freeze

Phoronix: Debian 11.0 "Bullseye" Is Very Close To Release - Now Under A Full Freeze

Following the soft freeze and hard freeze, Debian 11 "Bullseye" is now under a full freeze ahead of its official Debian 11 stable release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bummer that it seems like GNOME 40 didn't make it in on time, I hope they can shimmy it through the freezer door. Ubuntu 21.10 betas landed it just two days ago.

Comment

The tentative release date was set to 31 July a while ago: https://lists.debian.org/debian-rele.../msg00199.html
      That might have changed by now, but I don't think it's going to take months.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
        Bummer that it seems like GNOME 40 didn't make it in on time, I hope they can shimmy it through the freezer door. Ubuntu 21.10 betas landed it just two days ago.
        Debian on desktop doesn't matter anyway. It's sever OS, isn't it? Don't get me wrong,I love Debian, I use it everyday, I made it to get food because I know Debian. It just doesn't fit desktop PC too well to be hones, so why would we bother about GNOME version in Debian? It will be old whenever you look at it.
        Last edited by bple2137; 17 July 2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Debian on desktop doesn't matter anyway. It's sever OS, isn't it? Don't get me wrong,I love Debian, I use it everyday, I made it to get food because I know Debian. It just doesn't fit desktop PC too well to be hones, so why would we bother about GNOME version in Debian? It will be old whenever you look at it.
          do you get the freeze often in debian 10 and how do you fix ? like right after get desktop xfce, open a terminal and then try to open terminal to open tmux to open 5 terminal windows - long delay before I see the terminal command prompt?

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

We have been using Bullseye since March as a desktop OS; everything works out just great. In fact, I believe Bullseye is a better desktop OS than Ubuntu. As a Ubuntu user since 6.04, I never thought I would switch to Debian, but something just happened that we had no choice. The most critical problem (for us) was related to our custom-made Ubuntu LiveUSBs (up to 21.10) won't boot from some of our machines (most notably with the M440 main boards). Also, Ubuntu (again up to 21.10) did not have the driver for certain wifi cards, for which the Bullseye works no problem. The boot time with bullseye is also substantially shorter. In general, we seem to have less problems running Bullseye as a desktop OS than Ubuntu.

With regard to Gnome 40, some of the extensions on which we rely heavily still have not been ported to it. We are looking forward to the next iteration of Debian testing, which should come out after Bullseye is out. Dual booting between Bullseye and Bookworm, which is expected to move to Gnome 4x and the 5.14 kernel, is going to be great.

Comment

Can't help but appreciate the timing of the 11 release. Should be a nice place to shelter while everyone else has ample time to work out wayland/pipewire kinks.
              And it's a perfectly good desktop OS. Contrary to popular belief, people running debian desktops/workstations didn't accidentally spill coffee on the keyboard while trying to install arch.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                all Gnome 40 is is a continuation of 3 , instead of calling it 3.40.x , they just called it 40, an since Debian an Redhat are just Server based Distro's it doesnt really matter anyway what Gnome it has in it

Comment

So far always releasable testing idea didn't really work out for Debian. Freeze periods of half a year feel really long.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    a week ago i tried to install debian11 ... it failed... the installer is buggy if you try to install it on as encrypted harddrive.

fedora34 instead has no problem in creating a encrypted harddrive to install the OS on.

i used debian based systems for like 18 years... i really new to fedora for like 1 year...

i have a threadripper 1920X with vega64 on a asrock mainboard. i hope Debian11 installer is fixed soon so i maybe can switch back to debian.
                    You can just install Debian 10, switch repositories to bullseye/testing and do a dist-upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                    X