Microsoft's Internal Linux Distribution "CBL-Mariner" Continues Maturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
    why not focus on porting their office tools first instead of making a new distrib?
    I used to say that hell would freezes over before MS do "insert thing here". But suddenly the idea of MS Office on Linux is not that crazy anymore, just improbable.

The last 5 years have been truly surprising, thanks to Sattya Nadela's shaking the very foundations of MS. Heck, even uncle Bill is rocking a Android phone nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
      Doesn't really make sense for an OS company using another OS internally. It is like those dealership car that sell a brand but the owners use another one...
      Microsoft is a services company more now.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Heck, even uncle Bill is rocking a Android phone nowadays.
        What phone would he rock if not Android?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

I used to say that hell would freezes over before MS do "insert thing here". But suddenly the idea of MS Office on Linux is not that crazy anymore, just improbable.

The last 5 years have been truly surprising, thanks to Sattya Nadela's shaking the very foundations of MS. Heck, even uncle Bill is rocking a Android phone nowadays.
          I felt the same, for a while, and naively thought that MS was moving to become a Linux distro, but the continued development of DirectX, the announcement of Win11, where they use even more things that's been on Linux for decades, and acts like it doesn't exist, and that they do everything better than everyone else, when that's a downright lie, considering Linux, the fact that MS Office still does not have a native/wrapped Linux client, and seems that ut never will, the fact that MS seems to be able to get nVidia to release Wayland-friendly drivers faster for WSL2, than for actual Linux, in spite of the decade that Linux has waited, and a million other things, just makes me think that they're doubling down on their own environment for desktop.
          Last edited by mbrf; 13 July 2021, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b1twise View Post

What phone would he rock if not Android?
            He is rich enough to ask MS to make a phone from scratch if he wants, but it would be more practical to just make a new windows phone firmware to, say, a Samsung phone.

But I guess he or Nadela just asked for MS people to build a custom, hardened version of Android (without Google's telemetry, of course) for him and the top brass at MS. At last that is what I would do.

Comment

What exactly is this CBL-Mariner? Is it just a standard Linux distro with wine on top? If they ran this through their test suite (which I sometimes doubt they have) it might not be that long before Windows could live on to of a Linux kernel.

Since vista how much changes have Microsoft actually done on their NT kernel really? Everything that is advertised is just GUI things mostly anyway....

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                What exactly is this CBL-Mariner? Is it just a standard Linux distro with wine on top? If they ran this through their test suite (which I sometimes doubt they have) it might not be that long before Windows could live on to of a Linux kernel.

Since vista how much changes have Microsoft actually done on their NT kernel really? Everything that is advertised is just GUI things mostly anyway....
                what about the hidden keystroke loggin and phone home collection data - thats new to kernel

Comment

If you look at the page, it's actually based on Linux From Scratch. They just added Fedora Tools on top of it. Which is really, really gross.

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                  what about the hidden keystroke loggin and phone home collection data - thats new to kernel
                  Where?

Comment

It's just Linux running in a virtual machine, there is no Wine involved. You can run Windows in a virtual machine on Linux, doesn't mean much.

Comment

Working...
                    X