X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Except that it isn't. I know business owners who had to spend many $thousands replacing office printers because the vendor did not release a Win10 driver for it, and the Win7 driver didn't work. Windows 10 also maintains some amount of legacy application compatibility, but it's equally hit-or-miss. Running a WinXP era app on Win10 might work, or it might not. Not to mention the pure hell that was 32 bit vs. 64 bit drivers and apps in the Windows ecosystem.

At least with Linux, one can very quickly ascertain whether or not a new kernel supports all your hardware, often with a Live DVD/USB image so you don't modify the existing installation. With Windows, you have to manually visit a dozen vendor's web sites, and separately download and install each driver to see if it works, and there is no Live image option, so you're stuck yanking and swapping drives, an obtuse way of doing things here in 2021.
    In 99% of the times, they probably fucked up the driver install. I have encountered only a single device that hasn't worked and it was a windows 98 device. windows driver compatibility mode works incredibly well when you set it up. I have very seldom encountered problems with compatibility mode outside of very very janky and niche apps. and when I do there is almost always a compatibility layer somewhere that works. even for 16bit apps on 64bit win10.

but regardless I'd much rather have the option to try. ive tested pretty much all of my old hardware I had before I sold it and Like I said, I found one piece of hardware that didn't work. testing printers. audio cards, TV capture cards, surveillance cards etc. as long as you explicitly install in compatibility mode. like I said, I have seldom found drivers that still won't work. for both myself personally, and all the home calls i've done.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    one of the great succsess of windows is being able to install drivers from windows XP on an otherwise fully updated windows 10 install.
    Except that it isn't. I know business owners who had to spend many $thousands replacing office printers because the vendor did not release a Win10 driver for it, and the Win7 driver didn't work. Windows 10 also maintains some amount of legacy application compatibility, but it's equally hit-or-miss. Running a WinXP era app on Win10 might work, or it might not. Not to mention the pure hell that was 32 bit vs. 64 bit drivers and apps in the Windows ecosystem.

At least with Linux, one can very quickly ascertain whether or not a new kernel supports all your hardware, often with a Live DVD/USB image so you don't modify the existing installation. With Windows, you have to manually visit a dozen vendor's web sites, and separately download and install each driver to see if it works, and there is no Live image option, so you're stuck yanking and swapping drives, an obtuse way of doing things here in 2021.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Good. For many people right now. hardware support is great until it isn't. Myself included. Id rather just run windows instead of compiling drivers myself on my shitty Celeron dual core laptop. thankfully my device is still supported "enough" by 4.9 to not bother, but I really wish linux had a better way to run old drivers on new kernels. one of the great succsess of windows is being able to install drivers from windows XP on an otherwise fully updated windows 10 install. hopefully this will help some. this helps in two regards. being able to run depciated software, like my laptop. and being able to run old versions of drivers because a new version borked something, like another laptop I had (but sold).

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Code of Conduct, because people need to read something about how to behave.

Total failure of education systems
    And a success in other's eyes.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post

"That's racist!"

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

With as common as the term is I didn't think anyone actually took it that literally since there have been Codes of Stuff for thousands of years.
    We have already seen evidence of that confusion online.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It's not dumb because in some places, bots will automatically trigger a suspension or ban based on keywords. It is useful to clarify that the CoC is not like that.
    With as common as the term is I didn't think anyone actually took it that literally since there have been Codes of Stuff for thousands of years.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I thought I was done commenting on this thread until I read their Code of Conduct....

Are people really so dumb that they think the "Code" of Conduct is coc32.exe?
    It's not dumb because in some places, bots will automatically trigger a suspension or ban based on keywords. It is useful to clarify that the CoC is not like that.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I thought I was done commenting on this thread until I read their Code of Conduct....

The Code of Conduct is not “code” in the sense of being an algorithm or a computer program. The Code of Conduct is not “blindly and algorithmically” executed but is instead enforced by humans making real decisions based on all of the available information and using all available context.
    Are people really so dumb that they think the "Code" of Conduct is coc32.exe?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    In the case of the CentOS Kmods SIG for shipping out-of-tree kernel modules, it would still be limited to GPLv2-compatible kernel modules for legal reasons so would not see say the NVIDIA proprietary driver or OpenZFS added.

Also, part of that sentence triggers my mind's Grammerly plugin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X