CentOS Forms A Group To Flip On Old, Deprecated Or Out-Of-Tree Kernel Modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Except that it isn't. I know business owners who had to spend many $thousands replacing office printers because the vendor did not release a Win10 driver for it, and the Win7 driver didn't work. Windows 10 also maintains some amount of legacy application compatibility, but it's equally hit-or-miss. Running a WinXP era app on Win10 might work, or it might not. Not to mention the pure hell that was 32 bit vs. 64 bit drivers and apps in the Windows ecosystem.

At least with Linux, one can very quickly ascertain whether or not a new kernel supports all your hardware, often with a Live DVD/USB image so you don't modify the existing installation. With Windows, you have to manually visit a dozen vendor's web sites, and separately download and install each driver to see if it works, and there is no Live image option, so you're stuck yanking and swapping drives, an obtuse way of doing things here in 2021.
    In 99% of the times, they probably fucked up the driver install. I have encountered only a single device that hasn't worked and it was a windows 98 device. windows driver compatibility mode works incredibly well when you set it up. I have very seldom encountered problems with compatibility mode outside of very very janky and niche apps. and when I do there is almost always a compatibility layer somewhere that works. even for 16bit apps on 64bit win10.

but regardless I'd much rather have the option to try. ive tested pretty much all of my old hardware I had before I sold it and Like I said, I found one piece of hardware that didn't work. testing printers. audio cards, TV capture cards, surveillance cards etc. as long as you explicitly install in compatibility mode. like I said, I have seldom found drivers that still won't work. for both myself personally, and all the home calls i've done.

Comment

Working...
    X