No announcement yet.

Linux Mint 20.2 Released With Cinnamon 5.0 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah Cinnamon. Hands down the best DE around... And finally One stays the same and does not reinvent and change everything all the time... Love it

Comment

calc , as two other posters also mentioned it seems you have a poor understanding of Colour Science, and just appear to be digging yourself a deeper hole, whilst ignoring the fact that Mint's developers couldn't be bothered to create a proper iconset for their dark theme.

Instead of posting wild accusations about critics of Mint having glaucoma (!), perhaps you should take some time to educate yourself on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        Cinnamon seems to have seriously stagnated which is a shame.
        How so?
        It keeps getting faster, consuming less memory and getting new features, instead of being reinvented every time, with new bugs.
        Mint (and Cinnamon) are about simplicity, usability, robustness and speed.
        If that's not what you're looking for in an OS, that's fine.
        But if you actually think that about Cinnamon/Mint, it only shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.

The pictures might even be the same with every release.
        But the changes under the hood, are certainly felt by the users.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

boring desktop, slow like hell, looks like windows xp, much better to use xfce or gnome with dash to panel
          Cinnamon is one the fastest and more stable desktop environments.
          You might not like the aspect or usability, and that's perfectly fine.
          But don't go on making stuff up...

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Exactly this.

Hate to break it to you MATE/GNOME2 zealots who just can't give it up (but again, do you), but the latest GNOME 3 is the best desktop environment out, for me. But I think for a bunch of others too, seeing as it is the default desktop. Sure, it needs customizations, but that's Linux. Do better. And yes, I know my setup looks like Windows. I like it. It's very useful and I have more desktop space.

At least visually, it doesn't look that different from Cinnamon.
            I can't really talk about performance now, because i haven't touched it in years.
            At the time, i can assure you that it was terrible!!! The paradigm was completely changed overnight, it was slow, buggy and crashed all the time!
            Months later, when the first real good plugins or extras or whatever they're called, came in to restore some usabilty to Gnome, it would only make it slower, eat more RAM, CPU and crash more often.
            This went on for YEARS!
            It's not like i couldn't live witthout Gnome 2. It's more Gnome 3 was unusable, and that is a fact.
            I'm sure that by now, it's way better, way more usable, faster, more stable, etc.
            But by now, most of us that actually needed to get things done moved on and got used to things that work for us.

Gnome force it's userbase to make a choice: make due with a completely new paradigm that eats all the CPU, RAM and crashes all the time, or find something that works.
            And everyone made their choice, and here we are.
            As long as the Gnome devs are happy with their choices, you're happy with yours and i'm happy with mine, it's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
              The UI is great and doesn't really need much additional changes. The problem is more under the hood. They forked from GNOME many years ago and now GNOME keeps getting a steady stream of commits that do not make it into Cinnamon. That includes important components like the window manager. Mutter keeps getting improvements for Wayland support, multi-monitor fixes, performance/smoothness fixes etc. while the forked Muffin does not. It might have been better to develop Cinnamon as a set of new components and patch sets built on top of upstream GNOME even if that brings its own set of challenges.
              That's partly true.
              The Mint team regularly merge's improvements from Mutter that they see fit.
              I'm sure they did something about the multi monitor support. I just don't know if they imported it, or if it was developed in-house.
              About wayland is a different story: one of Mint's largest focus is stability which is something Wayland lacks. This is why there no effort towards Wayland (yet)! However, rest assured that as soon as Wayland reaches a maturity, Mint/Cinnamon will get it!

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                Are they still in denial with Wayland?
                It's not denial. Mint focuses a lot on stability which is kind of exclusive with Wayland.
                Wayland is the cool new project, but it's not on par with X11 in terms of stability and features.
                As soon as it reaches an acceptable level, i'm sure it'll enter Mint's team radar.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
                  One thing that doesn't use any extra RAM is a decent colour scheme. The current one for Linux Mint looks absolutely awful. Virtually all black with a weird green highlight. Even in the screeshot shown you can see some buttons blending into the menu, and the terminal icon is basically invisible.

If they can't get really basic things like that right, why would I even bother using Mint?
                  I don't really understand that argument...
                  If you add the cmd to the windows 10 taskbar, the same thing will happen.
                  That's because the cmd icon is dark, and so is the taskbar.
                  Just like in windows 10, you can change theme if you want.
                  However, there will always be some app whose icon will not be easy to understand with some DE/OS/Theme combo.
                  Unless you want to force OS defined standard icons for every app?...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I don't really understand that argument...
                    If you add the cmd to the windows 10 taskbar, the same thing will happen.
                    That's because the cmd icon is dark, and so is the taskbar.
                    Just like in windows 10, you can change theme if you want.
                    However, there will always be some app whose icon will not be easy to understand with some DE/OS/Theme combo.
                    Unless you want to force OS defined standard icons for every app?...
                    The solution is to make all the system icons black .svgs which are easily invertible to white .svgs. This is exactly how KDE does it.

And as for individual apps, such as terminal, the KDE dark taskbar is actually a dark tinted translucent color showing some of the wallpaper behind (much like Apple's dark theme). This gives greater contrast whilst still being decently dark. KDE devs have in fact put a lot of work into optimising the taskbar for high contrast in both light and dark themes.

I presume Linux Mint can handle translucency and blur, or is that too sophisticated for them?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

It's not denial. Mint focuses a lot on stability which is kind of exclusive with Wayland.
                      Wayland is the cool new project, but it's not on par with X11 in terms of stability and features.
                      As soon as it reaches an acceptable level, i'm sure it'll enter Mint's team radar.
                      But they have to start it sometime, like I've said in another post it's not like they need to make it default already, but at least show some signs they're working on it, and maybe release alpha builds with Wayland Cinnamon so people can already help to test it.

Wayland is not just "a cool new project" it's the successor of x11, and if they want it to be "stable" with Cinnamon then they should begin to work on it already. Unless of course they're already doing it (without telling us), or the process of porting Cinnamon to Wayland is easier than I think.

Personally I think culprit are the "Mint boxes" (with Nvidia cards embed), must be difficult for them to develop software that won't work properly with their on selling products, so it's better to pretend that Wayland isn't a thing already. Now that Nvidia is starting to show signs of support with xwayland, maybe they suddenly start to say "hey Wayland is now a thing and we'll start to work on it", specially if the next Ubuntu lts defaults to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X