Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 20.2 Released With Cinnamon 5.0 Desktop

Phoronix: Linux Mint 20.2 Released With Cinnamon 5.0 Desktop

Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" is now available as the latest update to this popular desktop Linux distribution built off Ubuntu LTS releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cinnamon seems to have seriously stagnated which is a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      Yeah, but unsurprising given that it and MATE have a major overlap in regards to the goals they're trying to achieve.

Comment

It's the best desktop environment for Linux, but has the least developers. That's a discrepancy that ideally should change.

Comment

Has it? Or is it polishing its desktop instead of finding new paradigms? Which makes it the most robust and boring desktop at the same time.

Although I don't use Cinnamon anymore, every time I look at it I feel they really spend their time refining their apps and experience, rather than reinventing the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post

It's the best desktop environment for Linux, but has the least developers. That's a discrepancy that ideally should change.
            boring desktop, slow like hell, looks like windows xp, much better to use xfce or gnome with dash to panel

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

boring desktop, slow like hell, looks like windows xp, much better to use xfce or gnome with dash to panel
              I'm just an average user..... and I absolutely love it. I use it for e-mail, internet, video, pictures, documents, music, investments, banking, etc.... I went from Windows, to Mac, then to Linux.... settling on Mint after looking at a few, and couldn't be happier. Super clean and easy. I notice zero speed issues doing what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

Exactly this.

Hate to break it to you MATE/GNOME2 zealots who just can't give it up (but again, do you), but the latest GNOME 3 is the best desktop environment out, for me. But I think for a bunch of others too, seeing as it is the default desktop. Sure, it needs customizations, but that's Linux. Do better. And yes, I know my setup looks like Windows. I like it. It's very useful and I have more desktop space.

Comment

Originally posted by guspitts View Post
                  Has it? Or is it polishing its desktop instead of finding new paradigms? Which makes it the most robust and boring desktop at the same time.
                  The UI is great and doesn't really need much additional changes. The problem is more under the hood. They forked from GNOME many years ago and now GNOME keeps getting a steady stream of commits that do not make it into Cinnamon. That includes important components like the window manager. Mutter keeps getting improvements for Wayland support, multi-monitor fixes, performance/smoothness fixes etc. while the forked Muffin does not. It might have been better to develop Cinnamon as a set of new components and patch sets built on top of upstream GNOME even if that brings its own set of challenges.

Comment

Are they still in denial with Wayland?

Comment

Working...
                    X