Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Stream 9 Builds Flowing, Opened Up For Contributors

Phoronix: CentOS Stream 9 Builds Flowing, Opened Up For Contributors

More build artifacts of CentOS Stream 9 are being published now while more OS images are still on the way. CentOS Stream 9 is open for contributions as RHEL's future upstream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sorry Redhat/Centos, i don't want centos stream.

I want long term CentOs support or free RHEL for my productive servers.

Comment

Stream should not be called CentOS since its not CentOS but a RHEL beta.

Sure, redhat wants to put some distance between its products and the community. They killed the CentOS project, as part of a bigger strategy to remove "community" and loss making projects from their core strategy.

A similar example is Ansible. Once it became a core redhat product, they killed all 3rd party modules and moved them to community maintenance. Redhat will no longer support community stuff, instead they will focus on their core products that make money. The community will have to maintain 3rd party modules on their own.

We are lucky that Alma and Rocky, will pickup the slack and we'll have free enterprise distros with full support for free.

Comment

Agreed above. My CentOS stream kernel can't even install NVIDIA driver. This is the first time I removed CentOS. I didn't take it lightly.

RHEL/IBM really duck up the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
          Stream should not be called CentOS since its not CentOS but a RHEL beta.

Sure, redhat wants to put some distance between its products and the community. They killed the CentOS project, as part of a bigger strategy to remove "community" and loss making projects from their core strategy.

A similar example is Ansible. Once it became a core redhat product, they killed all 3rd party modules and moved them to community maintenance. Redhat will no longer support community stuff, instead they will focus on their core products that make money. The community will have to maintain 3rd party modules on their own.

We are lucky that Alma and Rocky, will pickup the slack and we'll have free enterprise distros with full support for free.
          By keeping the name CentOS, Red Hat can claim they didn't kill CentOS. Which is of course ridiculous. Keeping the name doesn't mean anything. They killed CentOS as we knew it.

Comment

Any one seen any documentation of what is changing between 8 and 9 besides a point upgrade of the kernel? With how long RH release cycles are out of the box openCL support would make sense if they want to stay relevant in the data center, but I am not convinced any one at Redhat has ever heard of openCL.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
              Any one seen any documentation of what is changing between 8 and 9 besides a point upgrade of the kernel? With how long RH release cycles are out of the box openCL support would make sense if they want to stay relevant in the data center, but I am not convinced any one at Redhat has ever heard of openCL.
              All the changes you see in Fedora after the EL8 would likely end up in EL9. You can look up the Fedora feature list for a summary.

Also Red Hat is an openCL contributor. Phoronix has covered it as well

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Looks like IBM got a new CEO, this time a Asian one, like all the other big (and profitable) tech companies. Lets see hows he handles the opensource projects IBM have.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  Any one seen any documentation of what is changing between 8 and 9 besides a point upgrade of the kernel? ...
                  RHEL 9 alpha was branched from Fedora 34.

RHEL 8 was branched from Fedora 28.

RHEL 7 was branched from Fedora 19/20.

(see also: Wikipedia - Relationship_with_Fedora)

Diffing between those versions will get you a rough idea of what to expect, but only the Release Notes will be able to tell you for sure.
                  Last edited by browseria; 06 July 2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

By keeping the name CentOS, Red Hat can claim they didn't kill CentOS. Which is of course ridiculous. Keeping the name doesn't mean anything. They killed CentOS as we knew it.
                    Alma is and Rocky is becoming CentOS as we knew it. RedHat made both of them possible.
                    Last edited by pipe13; 06 July 2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X