X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Can you cite your source? It would be entirely unlikely they are waiting on a new release of Dnf that hasn't even landed in Fedora yet and RHEL releases are more time based now.
    ikm sure i read it on Phoronix website

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
    Sorry Redhat/Centos, i don't want centos stream.

I am a freeloading parasite who thinks operating systems are created by magic dust and free sunshine, and therefore I refuse to pay a single cent for all the developer effort that went into creating CentOS, its packages, its repositories and testing it for stability because open source developers are supposed to work for no pay.
    Fixed that for you. You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    I posted this elsewhere...

Another possibility?

At IBM, how those outside of IBM perceive them is everything.

The CentOS takeover and destruction, while it might not seem like a "big deal", was sort of a black eye to IBM reputation wise.

IBM: "Thou shall not do that."

Have a feeling this wasn't a simple "step down" by Whitehurst.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post

thats what i thought, but Redhat wont leave it to long i assume untill its released, my guess they could release it late next year, as i gathered they wanted DNF5 in RHEL9
    Can you cite your source? It would be entirely unlikely they are waiting on a new release of Dnf that hasn't even landed in Fedora yet and RHEL releases are more time based now.

Leave a comment:

• pipe13
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    RHEL 9 may be branched from Fedora 34, but there is a horrendously long gap from the time of branching to the time it's finally declared stable enough for release.

If CentOS Stream can become something like a stablised Fedora -1 or Fedora -2, it'll be much more suited for workstations. As it is, Opensuse Leap is the only distribution that offer long lifespans while having reasonably modern and up-to-date packages at the point of release and for each point update.

Debian and Ubuntu LTS are resonably up-to-date at the time of release, but their subsequent point update usually offers little in the way of new stuff.
    That's pretty much exactly what CentOS Stream is supposed to be: upstream to RHEL and downstream from Fedora. Old CentOS was a downstream stepchild of RHEL.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    RHEL 9 may be branched from Fedora 34, but there is a horrendously long gap from the time of branching to the time it's finally declared stable enough for release.

If CentOS Stream can become something like a stablised Fedora -1 or Fedora -2, it'll be much more suited for workstations. As it is, Opensuse Leap is the only distribution that offer long lifespans while having reasonably modern and up-to-date packages at the point of release and for each point update.

Debian and Ubuntu LTS are resonably up-to-date at the time of release, but their subsequent point update usually offers little in the way of new stuff.
    thats what i thought, but Redhat wont leave it to long i assume untill its released, my guess they could release it late next year, as i gathered they wanted DNF5 in RHEL9

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by browseria View Post

RHEL 9 alpha was branched from Fedora 34.

RHEL 8 was branched from Fedora 28.

RHEL 7 was branched from Fedora 19/20.

(see also: Wikipedia - Relationship_with_Fedora)

Diffing between those versions will get you a rough idea of what to expect, but only the Release Notes will be able to tell you for sure.
    interesting, so i take it RHEL9 wont be coming with DNF5 like i thought it was gonna have

Leave a comment:

• GdeR
    replied
    Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
    I want long term CentOs support or free RHEL for my productive servers.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

They should just call it RHentOS

The community's gone...
    The "community" is bigger now than it was before the changes. Before it was just a rebuild community. Find bugs? tough luck. Need features: Tough luck. Something not working? Tough luck.

After the change bugs get reported, community is working on future features via SIGS and things are getting fixed.

It may not be precisely what you want, but the old model had no community - they had mostly either drifted away (such as co founder that is now doing Rocky) or become part of Red Hat. Users are not community.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X