CentOS Stream 9 Builds Flowing, Opened Up For Contributors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by browseria View Post
    Thanks for posting that. That is good news in a lot of ways. Unfortunately the Fedora crew haven't even looked at the ROCM-runtime since last year even in Koji. I was hoping the RH crew might have given it some extra attention due to it being more important on servers.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
      Sorry Redhat/Centos, i don't want centos stream.

I want long term CentOs support or free RHEL for my productive servers.
      Red Hat offers a free tier for smaller production workloads (and developers can get free use too).

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

By keeping the name CentOS, Red Hat can claim they didn't kill CentOS. Which is of course ridiculous. Keeping the name doesn't mean anything. They killed CentOS as we knew it.
        They should just call it RHentOS

The community's gone...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

They should just call it RHentOS

The community's gone...
          The "community" is bigger now than it was before the changes. Before it was just a rebuild community. Find bugs? tough luck. Need features: Tough luck. Something not working? Tough luck.

After the change bugs get reported, community is working on future features via SIGS and things are getting fixed.

It may not be precisely what you want, but the old model had no community - they had mostly either drifted away (such as co founder that is now doing Rocky) or become part of Red Hat. Users are not community.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
            I want long term CentOs support or free RHEL for my productive servers.

Comment

Originally posted by browseria View Post

RHEL 9 alpha was branched from Fedora 34.

RHEL 8 was branched from Fedora 28.

RHEL 7 was branched from Fedora 19/20.

(see also: Wikipedia - Relationship_with_Fedora)

Diffing between those versions will get you a rough idea of what to expect, but only the Release Notes will be able to tell you for sure.
              interesting, so i take it RHEL9 wont be coming with DNF5 like i thought it was gonna have

Comment

RHEL 9 may be branched from Fedora 34, but there is a horrendously long gap from the time of branching to the time it's finally declared stable enough for release.

If CentOS Stream can become something like a stablised Fedora -1 or Fedora -2, it'll be much more suited for workstations. As it is, Opensuse Leap is the only distribution that offer long lifespans while having reasonably modern and up-to-date packages at the point of release and for each point update.

Debian and Ubuntu LTS are resonably up-to-date at the time of release, but their subsequent point update usually offers little in the way of new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  RHEL 9 may be branched from Fedora 34, but there is a horrendously long gap from the time of branching to the time it's finally declared stable enough for release.

If CentOS Stream can become something like a stablised Fedora -1 or Fedora -2, it'll be much more suited for workstations. As it is, Opensuse Leap is the only distribution that offer long lifespans while having reasonably modern and up-to-date packages at the point of release and for each point update.

Debian and Ubuntu LTS are resonably up-to-date at the time of release, but their subsequent point update usually offers little in the way of new stuff.
                  thats what i thought, but Redhat wont leave it to long i assume untill its released, my guess they could release it late next year, as i gathered they wanted DNF5 in RHEL9

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

That's pretty much exactly what CentOS Stream is supposed to be: upstream to RHEL and downstream from Fedora. Old CentOS was a downstream stepchild of RHEL.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

thats what i thought, but Redhat wont leave it to long i assume untill its released, my guess they could release it late next year, as i gathered they wanted DNF5 in RHEL9
                      Can you cite your source? It would be entirely unlikely they are waiting on a new release of Dnf that hasn't even landed in Fedora yet and RHEL releases are more time based now.

Comment

Working...
                      X