System76 Releases Pop!_OS 21.04 With New COSMIC Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    has commercial backing and support for free.
    I just wanted to add that Kubuntu has KDE software and "commercial backing and support for free", too.

It's KDE software that comes preinstalled in several computers (with excellent results).

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

I just wanted to add that Kubuntu has KDE software and "commercial backing and support for free", too.

It's KDE software that comes preinstalled in several computers (with excellent results).
      You're right, I said that badly. What I really meant is that commercial support for Gnome is way bigger than for Kde.
      Byt the way, there's also BlueSystems strongly supporting Kde

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Not sure why you added "mouse" in there... :P

All BSing aside, it really isn't that bad on smaller screens with a touch/gesture pad. Scale it up and change input devices and it isn't as user friendly. That's where KDE, Mate, and other environments shine. At least that's how it is for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

[...] By the way, there's also BlueSystems strongly supporting Kde
          Yes, if anyone else wants to look, the list of supporters has been growing lately.

About the future, the text "paid contractors and employees" can be looked for in this interview.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes I'm satisfied.

[...]

my I asked what your prefered Distro+WM is?
            My pleasure!

I am totally fine with XFCE4, despite its age, XFCE4 looks (for me) more cohesive, modern, and consistent than MATE. XFCE4 is extremely modular, the way (and the ease) I organized my dual monitor setup with XFCE is pretty impossible to achieve with Gnome.

Someone may argue that KDE for that stuff is better, I wouldn't not argue about that, however from my experience KDE has an horrible design flaw, it uses that naughty nested options "a la" Win that bothering me too much.

For my personal vision every application/DE that has configuration settings more that one click away is defective by design. Based on that assumption Win and KDE are defective by design, with both you may open twenty dialogs before to get at the very last option; whereas with Gnome, XFCE4, MacOS or Elementary, for instance, everything is pretty reachable with one or two mouse clicks maximum.
            Last edited by Danielsan; 01 July 2021, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Why?
              PopOS is designed to be good to use with any media/engineering/programming software that works on Linux.
              This may be true only if you work with one application at the time, work with more than one application simultaneously and Gnome/Pop start to reveal all their limitations...

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                Switching to KDE and contributing to it would be more profitable than forking GNOME and trying to make it better.
                Not to try to start another desktop war here, but as a very long-time Linux user, KDE had its heyday in 1.x - 3.x days. Ever since then it has only been a perpertually buggy mess. I would let it die already. I hate how it's in so bad shape with no end in sight, it's like watching an old friend with so much promise live a life of suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by daedaluz View Post

Not to try to start another desktop war here, but as a very long-time Linux user, KDE had its heyday in 1.x - 3.x days. Ever since then it has only been a perpertually buggy mess. I would let it die already. I hate how it's in so bad shape with no end in sight, it's like watching an old friend with so much promise live a life of suffering.
                  Don't you think that this is a very personal opinion?
                  Kde's market share is comparable to Gnome's. A project does not stand on the podium of any market by being a perpetually buggy mess.
                  Also, decades old projects are not easily let die

Comment

Working...
                  X