Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 35 To Automatically Use Optimal Encryption Sector Size For Better I/O Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 35 To Automatically Use Optimal Encryption Sector Size For Better I/O Performance

Phoronix: Fedora 35 To Automatically Use Optimal Encryption Sector Size For Better I/O Performance

With this autumn's Fedora 35 release there should be better performance out-of-the-box for those employing LUKS/dm-crypt encryption while using 4K sector size based storage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know why linux distros keep using 512 instead of 4096. Windows for example, uses 4096 since... thousand years?

Comment

Good to see the new features starting to creep out. 34 was pretty big for Fedora especially if you were running KDE so I expect 35 to be a little tamer. Hopefully we see SDDM 20 so we can final bid farewell of real X.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
        I don't know why linux distros keep using 512 instead of 4096. Windows for example, uses 4096 since... thousand years?

Why do you believe that Linux distros use 512? Which recent ones do?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Why do you believe that Linux distros use 512? Which recent ones do?
          linux this, linux something.
          Cryptsetup is userspace tool, and it's dependent on this tool...

From cryptsetup manual:
          --sector-size<bytes>
          Set sector size for use with disk encryption. It must be power of two and in range 512 - 4096 bytes. The default is 512 bytes sectors. This option is available only in the LUKS2 mode.
          Last edited by evil_core; 28 June 2021, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

linux this, linux something.
            Cryptsetup is userspace tool, and it's dependent on this tool...

From cryptsetup manual:
            OP is referring to the distro default size for a filesystem block. cryptsetup doesn't determine that.

Comment

Working...
            X