X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Think about this:

It makes no--as in ZERO--sense for CentOS to be 'muddying the waters' like this.

Now ask yourself the question, "WHY are they doing this?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Reader: consider yourself to be a member of Congress. Now, consider yourself to be a bllthering idiot. But I repeat myself."--
    Mark Twain

Leave a comment:

• leech
    replied
    Originally posted by cynic View Post

they released an 8.3RC that is not intended to be used in production.
    They also demoed a script to easily convert from CentOS to Rocky.
    Nice to see progress. I believe AlmaLinux released 8.4 about a week after RHEL8.4 was released.
    According to Distrowatch:
    RHEL 8.4 released on 05-21-2021
    AlmaLinux 8.4 released on 5-26-2021

Which is pretty impressive! I remember times when CentOS would take 3 months...

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by leech View Post

Yeah, Alma Linux does for sure. Has Rocky made a release yet?
    they released an 8.3RC that is not intended to be used in production.
    They also demoed a script to easily convert from CentOS to Rocky.

Leave a comment:

• Snaipersky
    replied
    Originally posted by leech View Post

RC's have been out, no point release as of yet.

Leave a comment:

• leech
    replied
    Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Oracle (IIRC Alma and some university's rebuild also) provide automated scripts for converting away. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rocky offered a similar script.

Leave a comment:

• Snaipersky
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

IBM provide a path away to competition? Unlikely.

Users doing it themselves and sharing with the community? Highly probable. This is Linux, after all.
    Oracle (IIRC Alma and some university's rebuild also) provide automated scripts for converting away. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rocky offered a similar script.

Leave a comment:

• jaypatelani
    replied
    I think if CentOS stream works well with binaries throughout EOL it will be successful

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Hopefully there is an upgrade path to Rocky 8 once its released. I'm guessing there probably will be, as there are guides out there for switching a system between CentOS and RHEL. Change the repos, remove the subscription-manager, and a few other steps.
    IBM provide a path away to competition? Unlikely.

Users doing it themselves and sharing with the community? Highly probable. This is Linux, after all.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Hopefully there is an upgrade path to Rocky 8 once its released. I'm guessing there probably will be, as there are guides out there for switching a system between CentOS and RHEL. Change the repos, remove the subscription-manager, and a few other steps.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic CentOS Linux 8 2105 Released As RHEL 8.4 Equivalent

CentOS Linux 8 2105 Released As RHEL 8.4 Equivalent

Phoronix: CentOS Linux 8 2105 Released As RHEL 8.4 Equivalent

While CentOS Linux 8 is being discontinued at the end of the year in favor of Red Hat focusing those resources on CentOS Stream, CentOS Linux 8 2105 was released today as the newest version that is now based on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.4 sources...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X